The way you have a name appear with a number when they call or text you is to add their phone number into your contact list. You can add someone and give them a name (or even a nickname) and that will show when they call. You can do this from your recent call list (touch the number and then "Save to Contacts"), or follow these steps:
1. From the Home Screen touch "Contacts"
2. Then touch the "New Contact" button
3. Edit each field as you wish, adding a name or an e-mail even
4. Touch "Done" after each field
5. When you're finished, touch "Save" to save the contact
There you have it! Since we don't broadcast your name with your phone number when you call, only the number is supposed to show. Get a good contact list going and you will have all your friends and family's names showing!
Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport
My Brightside was doing the same thing.
I went back into the contact list and added each contact's telephone area code... the full 10 digit number makes the name appear.