Re: Samsung Brightside? Until they fix DO NOT BUY
martodea
Enthusiast - Level 2

I usually do my business over the phone with verizon..I find them much for customer service oriented. I called about the update and the said I had to go to the store for it. The person from phone support thought it was odd so she double checked and again said go to the store...I went to the store and naturally they "didnt think they could do it" so while waiting I called verizon tech support again...then the verizon store service guy said oh yeah I can try it. He hooked my phone up and downloaded it. Since then (about a week I have set several alarms all worked !! and calendar notifications worked !!!) being that this is my 4th Samsung in 9 months I am cautious about throwing a party ...but I think they may have gotten right this time??!?!? stay tuned....

0 Likes
NivekE

My wife has this phone and on 1/19 it automatically downloaded a software update U380LL1, since then the alarms have consistently worked. I am hopeful that this has fixed the problem, although when she first got the phone they worked for a couple fo weeks, but then stopped so we will need to see.

0 Likes
mscoffee

I havent had a problem with my phone at all. and i have a samsung briteside. I got mine from walmart. It was .1 cent for the phone. with an up grade for 2 years. being from walmart i was expecting issues and have NONE so far. Use my alarm to wake up for work every morning. I text more than i talk and use my camera alot also. I found thins cause I was looking to see how to put pictures on computer from phone .

Thank god no issues. I love my phone. its a basic phone with touch.

0 Likes
MacinMan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I am responding to this thread on behalf of my girlfriend, who has the samsung bright side .

She is visually impaired, as am I. I currently have the iPhone as it's the best phone for the blind, and visually impaired, which is the phone she wants to get.  She has had her brightside since Christmas, 2012. Her parents bought it for her on December 11, 2012, and it has developed the following issues, in the last couple of days:

Audio issues such as speaker phone has quit working -- past friday. may 10th

Discovered media controller music, ringer, and text readout also quit working the same day.

She took it to Verizon yesterday may 14th, they checked it and in fact was found to be defective.

She was told by verizon that she would have a new one shipped to her house today, and she wanted it replaced with an iphone 4 as those are free with a new contract, which is also what she wanted, independent of her parents family plan.

I have offered to put her on my plan, by Christmas 2013, so she can get the desired  phone.

In closing, neither of us would recommend  any phone short of the iphone to visually impaired, as  most other phones do not have very good usability for the disabled.

0 Likes
aquababew
Enthusiast - Level 1

My husband and I both have had this phone for almost a year. I have had ALL KINDS OF issues with this phone! I have gone into the Verizon stores and called in multiple times with my issues and they just look at me like I'm making things up!  My alarms stopped working for a few months and then magically fixed themselves (no thanks to VZW support), my phone would turn off and restart if I tried to type in T9, my phone ringer was messed up for a long time, even still my phone reads out all calls and texts even without having "Readout" selected on my settings.  The latest thing to happen is that I can't sync up with other bluetooth devices such as my headset (when I could before) and my car (when I could before).  It is so annoying when I'm working in a state where it is illegal to use your phone except Hands-free and my phone will not work as a handsfree device. I would take it back today except that I'm flying home tomorrow night and still working today, yada yada.

I swear this is all a part of VZW and Samsung's plan to make us all hate our non-data phones and just upgrade to a data plan just so we can get a phone that works half way decent!!!

Will be returning this phone after fighting with it for nearly a year with still no satisfactory resolutions....

JM1012
Enthusiast - Level 2

Two of the people on our family plan just "updated" to this phone.  Between the "memory full" messages for Contacts, to the battery draining after only a few calls, it's a dud.  I plan on taking it back to Walmart (it was purchased online there, since it was cheaper through them then Verizon), and hope I can get it exchanged.

At the end of the day, I truly believe the issue is that Verizon Wireless and all the other major wireless services do not want us to have basic phones anymore.  They're hard to find.  Obviously, not every customer wants or needs the extra $35+ dollars a month for a data plan.  This is totally unfair to all cellphone customers!

jetsedai
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wish I had had the time to check out this phone before I bought it, July 18, 2013. I'm on my second Brightside in 2 weeks, (the authorized VZ store I went said it was a defective phone and battery and gave me a BRAND NEW - not refurbed one) and so far, this one seems to be working, with epic fail of the battery, pocket dialing, and keypad disappearing the exceptions (so far).  I've gotten 2 new batteries (one with the 2nd BS, one ordered from Amazon).  I'm anxious to see if they have the same issue.  I personally do not like touch screens for several reasons already  stated here. The problem with my original Brightside was that it turned  itself on/off without any sounds going off, so I'd go to use it and it  would be dead. The alarm worked for 2 days only, I hadnt yet set any  calendar events, so I cannot attest if that worked or not. Pocket dialing, screen lock/unlock issues, extremely sensitive touch screen, camera turning itself on and being unable to turn it off unless I took the battery out, are just a few of the issues that occurred with the 1st BS.

People tell  me that on this 2nd Brightside, I'm hard to hear, lots of scratchy  background - adjusting volume controls doesnt seem to help.  Receiving/sending messages of any sort (voice, text, pic) seems to be a hit or miss thing as far as timely delivery  - one message didnt show up on my phone for 2 days after it was sent from my contact.  I cannot get the phone to do basic functions from the keyboard (texting is a nightmare - the shift button doesnt give me the 2nd set of characters, and some other crazy texting issues that show up randomly).  I've not tried to connect my Bluetooth to this one yet, but will do so today and see what happens. 

This 2nd Brightside is running SW/HW version u380.MB1, and when I go to update software, it tells me no update available.  I presume I'm running the most current version

I've been a VZ customer for 12 years, have ALWAYS purchased Motorola cell phones with NEVER a problem of any kind. Sadly, ALL Motorola phones are now smartphones.  I bought this phone because I simply refuse to pay an extra $30/mo for internet service that I do not/will not use (isnt that why we have computers?).  I agree with the previous statement that consumers are being pushed to smartphones, and I have no need/want of that.

It seems this 2nd BS will likely not last long either, and I'll be stuck with it.  I may actually have my old Motorola (that is 5 YEARS old) turned back on.  At least it worked properly.

BSVZ
Enthusiast - Level 1

Don't buy, problem still exists.  I ignored little glitches mentioned here, thought I was imagining, and now I need functions I asked for when I bought the phone; alarms, calendar, voice command coming on randomly, pocket dialing even when in hard case and much, much more.

Contact FCC and BBB. Enough. 

H8VZW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anyone on this forum aware of any class actions or other formal actions that are pending or being considered against VZW and/or Samsung for these junk sets? We got saddled with three of them for our family share plan of five lines - two of our group have since gone to iPhones (another issue entirely), and one opted to return to an old LG Envy rather than continue to deal with the Brightside and its issues, leaving two of us with these little troublemakers. I just queried VZW customer service about the known issues, but only recieved a politely coy response.

0 Likes
Wally45
Enthusiast - Level 2

Couldnt handle it anymore.   I took a hammer to mine.    Verzon and their cheap phones.

>>Edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes