Re: Samsung Intensity II Battery Drain
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

I am having the same problem. About a month after I first got my phone I had to bring it in because the battery was draining and it was getting worse. I'd charge it over night like 10 hours and then by the end of the day after 2 or 3 calls I'd be down to 1 bar.  I went in they checked it and then sent me a new battery.  It again started to dwindle in the battery life. Went in and they changed some settings and it's doing it again.  It's getting bad to the point I can't make any calls practically and it's drained. I shut it off during the day because I can't use my cell at work so anywhere from 4-7 hours it's OFF!  And it STILL drains the battery.

I plan on bringing it in tomorrow to see what they can do. I do not want another phone as I have ringtones on this phone, and do NOT want ot have re-send them to my phone using up my text messages. I have other information in notes etc.  Plus they give you a  certified used phone, and you never know it may crap out just outside of the warranty date. At least you have a better chance with the phone that they fixed!   So I plan on seing if they can send the phone in and fix it and send it back to me.  I have another phone I keep for just such occasions.

Glad ot know I'm not the only one having the issue!

Mel 

0 Likes
stayathomemom

So as another person had posted, after charging my phone completely this last time I had decided to take out my SD card and use the phone without it.   I've maintained battery for going on roughly 2-1/2 days even with quite a bit more use than normal.  Would recommend trying this before going through as many phone and battery exchanges as I have. 

0 Likes
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

I did try removing my 4gb MSD card and using it that way.  I didn't notice any difference in battery life at all.  I made 3 calls and was down to 1 bar yesterday.  Those calls were approximatley 5 minutes long.  You shouldn't drain a battery  that fast.  I even let it charge over night.  Didn't matter. I've tried another charger on my phone.  Nothing.  I'm also noticing now that my key[ad light which is supposed to go off after 7 seconds is saying on. So that might be it in a nutshell.  They are sending me a nother one which I should get hopefully monday, tuesday by the latest.  Hopefully that one will work. If it does the same thing, and I have to return it, I hope there are other options available .   I really do not want to have to deal with the phone as it is. I don't want to have to worry that in an emergency my phone will die because it can't keep a charge.   In the mean time, I've turned off the keypad lights permanently. To see if that is the issue. I've also noticed that last night my screen did not shut down after  so many minutes.  I was charging it and it stayed lit for several hours.  I had to shut down the phone.  So it could be my phone has tons of issues and a new one will fix them.  Will update once I get the new phone.

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

melzywi wrote:

I am having the same problem. About a month after I first got my phone I had to bring it in because the battery was draining and it was getting worse. I'd charge it over night like 10 hours and then by the end of the day after 2 or 3 calls I'd be down to 1 bar.  I went in they checked it and then sent me a new battery.  It again started to dwindle in the battery life. Went in and they changed some settings and it's doing it again.  It's getting bad to the point I can't make any calls practically and it's drained. I shut it off during the day because I can't use my cell at work so anywhere from 4-7 hours it's OFF!  And it STILL drains the battery.

I plan on bringing it in tomorrow to see what they can do. I do not want another phone as I have ringtones on this phone, and do NOT want ot have re-send them to my phone using up my text messages. I have other information in notes etc.  Plus they give you a  certified used phone, and you never know it may crap out just outside of the warranty date. At least you have a better chance with the phone that they fixed!   So I plan on seing if they can send the phone in and fix it and send it back to me.  I have another phone I keep for just such occasions.

Glad ot know I'm not the only one having the issue!

Mel 

melzywi,

I do understand your frustrations with your Intensity II.  I would be happy to assist!

I see you mentioned a replacement has already been ordered, however, I would like to ask you if you are using any type of phone cover or snap on hard cover on your phone.  There was an issue with one of the covers for the Intensity II that was affecting battery life.  Just want to ensure you do not have this problem again.

Let me know.

0 Likes
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

I did get the new phone. So far so good. Charged it yesterday fully until it said it was charged.  I used it heavily the day it was received and after being fully charged.  This morning it was still at 4 bars.  When I came home at around 4:30 my phone was at 3 bars and I've made several calls and it's still on 3 bars! So hopefully I won't have any more problems.  When charging the back actually got warm.  The other one didn't do that, so I know it was properly charging the battery too.  Plus I still have the SD card in. Won't know for about a week or so if this phone works properly.  Before when I'd get a new battery it would work fine for about a week.  Then it would suddenly get great battery life, and never seem to deplete.  Then it wouldn't keep a charge any more. 

I do have a hard snap on cover, but not one from verizon. I did take it off the previous phone for a while to see if that was the issue, and it didn't make a difference. 

I would say though that if you are having battery issues with your phone, use the warranty and get a replacement!  Mine was deffinately the phone that was the issue.

0 Likes
Liz10

Mel, part of your problem may be that you're overcharging your battery.  This is the problem I had with my last phone, the Pantech Jest.  Apparently, if you charge a phone for longer than an hour or two, it doesn't do any good.  Also, you shouldn't charge your phone until you only have 2 bars.  That said, my Pantech was a piece of crap, and I had to get 2 replacements before pressuring a customer service rep to give me the Samsung Intensity II, which is, apparently, an equivalent phone.  As of yet (4 days and counting) I haven't had any problems with this phone (knock on wood).  I'm about to leave it on for about 8 hours, so I have an alarm for the morning.  Hopefully, it won't be dead when I get up. 

0 Likes
Tuttle723
Enthusiast - Level 1

OMG! I had given up. I bought two Intensity II phones the week they came out. Everything was great for a few months. Our batteries performed as advertised. We could go out of town for a long weekend without taking a charger.

Then all of a sudden mine wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day with little or no use. I first tried swapping batteries with my wife's phone. No help. Mine would drain by half over night and hers continued to last for days with average use.

Grrrrrrr, I go to my local Verizon store and they go through all the motions of testing the battery, updating the software etc. They found no reason for the drain and offered a free exchange. Long story shorter, I went through 3 more exchanges with the same result. Then my wife's phone started doing the exact same thing. I exchanged it with the same result.

We just assumed it was a faulty design and resigned to charging all the time so as not to die half way through the day. We just decided to live with it until this coming March when we are qualified for the next discount on phones.

Then the other day I found this thread and it hit me. The SD card is the problem! There was a direct link between when I bought that card and when I started having this problem. The same was true for my wife's phone. She didn't have any problem until I bought her an SD card for Christmas last year.

I removed mine and suddenly my phone is holding a charge as it should. In fact 24 hours later I still had 4 power bars!! But wait! 24 more hours after that it was still on full! I was thrilled to have finally found the answer.

As a test I recharged and put the card back in the phone and what do you know, half dead 8 hours later. Confirmed!

But I want to have my music on my phone and the only way to do this is with the SD card and I don't want to have to keep track of that mini card all the time. So I put it back in the phone but didn't tell the phone it was there. That was the answer. My battery life is great again and I can just turn on the SD card when I want to listen to music.

Ok, it's not a perfect solution but as least now I am convinced that I have the answer to the problem. Maybe there will be a software update that will allow me to keep it on all the time but until then I can live with this work-around.!

houjix
Enthusiast - Level 1

This, this, a thousand times this.

My wife and I both got the Intensity II about 2 months ago. They had some difficulty transferring some pictures from my wife's old EnV2 to the Intensity II, so the guy at the store gave us an SD card so we could do it ourselves. After the transfer I know I didn't leave the card in her phone. I didn't care too much about the pictures in my old phone at the time so I didn't put it in mine. We did as recommended and ran the battery fully dead before charging for the first time. I think it took about 3 days on my phone of being on 1 bar of battery to fully go dead. Charged it and went about my business. Both my phone and my wife's were getting something like 4-5 days minimum of charge. That was with an average of a few short calls (<5 min) and a text or 2 per day and leaving the phone on 24/7 (my wife uses it as an alarm clock).

I think at some point in the next couple of weeks I decided try to transfer a previously purchased ring tone from my old phone (no luck) and figured I might as well grab the pictures too. I transferred them with the SD card and figured I would just leave it in my new phone. That's about the time the battery on my started lasting less than 48 hours. Sometimes I would shut it off for the night and it would have lost battery life even while off.  Now I can understand if it was a smart phone that I was constantly using it, but there had been little change in my usage as described above and my wife's phone was still getting 4-5 days minimum. Hell my 3+ year old EnV2 was still getting almost 3 days on a charge when I upgraded.

I go to the Verizon store to explained the situation and the guy checked all my settings (no Bluetooth on, lights and screen go off after the minimum time). He said that they can't/won't do anything as 2 days is plenty in Verizon's opinion. He said I could try customer service, but it might not do any good. Really not wanting to deal with customer service I consigned myself to having less than 48 hours of battery life and praying that I never end up in a situation where I would be without a charger.

Bored at work yesterday, I did an internet search that brought me here. "Ding, ding, ding!" The SD card is practically the only thing that was different between our two phones. I was about 30 hours into a new charge (it may have been off the night before) when I took out the card and the phone was at 4 bars. Here I am at about 50+ hours (with it on overnight) and I still have a full 4 bars of battery life. I am now happy with my phone again. Thanks chocaholic.

I really have no use for the SD card to be permanently in my phone, but if I do I will take Tuttle723's advice and only tell the phone the card is there when I need to use it.

Update: 1 week later and the phone still has 3 bars of battery life. It still boggles the mind that with the my usage that they would think less than 2 days is sufficient battery life.

0 Likes
houjix
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone wouldn't go dark once. I shut if off and turned it back and and that solved the problem.

0 Likes
cherilanette

I was having the same issue and did a google search.  I found that the memory card for whatever reason was the issue.  I removed it and have not had issues since.  It has only been a week but I have only had to charge my phone once in the past few days.  I use it moderately and send texts daily.  Hope this helps....it helped me!!

0 Likes