Samsung brightside not connecting to computer properly.
Gizmo501
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am trying to get my samsung brightside to connect to my computer for data transfer and can't seem to get it to connect. I plug it in and it goes to charging mode, this is telling me that 1 my cable is good and 2 my ports on my computer are good (I also plug it into another computer and it does the same thing). I checked the USB Mode in settings >USB Mode and made sure it says USB Mass Storage still nothing. I also made sure that im on the "home" screen when im plugged in. the last thing I should mention is that this has worked before.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung brightside not connecting to computer properly.
Gizmo501
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think I may have figured it out. I got my phone through Costco. Costco gives you 2 different Chargers (1 with a wall mount/car adapter, and the other a wall mount) with a cable on each. I was using the Costco cable which they give with all their phones to try and transfer files. I just found my other wall mount cable and that seemed to have it connect.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear Gizmo501,

Good afternoon. I am sorry to learn of the difficulites you are experiencing with connecting your Samsung Brightside to your pc. I know this can be frustrating.

The Samsung Brightside does not support usb transfer from phone to pc. What information are you trying to save on your phone? The best way to save information from your phone on a Brightside is by purchasing a SD card. If you are trying to save contacts, Verizon Wireless also offers a free application called Backup Assistant that you may download. For more information regarding Backup Assistant click  http://vz.to/ISRJSK

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
Gizmo501
Enthusiast - Level 3

if Im not able to transfer files onto my brightside why do 1. I have an option to change the current USB mode to "USB Mass Storage" and 2. how was I able to put a small amount of data on my phone when I first got it. I was able to put a few songs a few ring tones and remove a few pictures via USB.

This was when I first received the phone from the store a few months ago. then about a month ago it just wouldn't let me do it.

FYI I didn't "unlock" anything with the phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear Gizmo501,

Good morning. I understand it can get frustrating when you are unable to tranfer content to your phone. I'll be happy to provide some clarification with transferring data via USB to your Samsung Brightside.

Since the Samsung Brightside supports music, Music files, such as the following listed below can be transfered via USB transfer: 
  • 72 POLY MIDI
  • AAC
  • AAC
  • CMX4.4.5
  • EVRC
  • Enhanced AAC
  • Imelody
  • M4A
  • MP3
  • WMA

Other information such at contacts, pictures, videos, etc. can not be transferred via USB transfer. Are you trying to transfer over more music? If so, please ensure you also have enough memory to store music. To verify the memory on your phone http://vz.to/19OUIyE Also, to learn how to transfer videos and pictures to a memory card click, http://vz.to/14lIrwf Should you have further questions or concerns. Please feel free to reach out to us for further assistance.

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
Gizmo501
Enthusiast - Level 3

I must not be clear enough in my description as to what is going on. Or you guys don't understand windows all that much. when you plug in any memory device you are able to see the device in "My computer"

as shown below (shown with one of my flash drives)

verizon 1.png

now when I plug my phone in having it on USB Mass storage as advised here (your site's instructions where down when I posted this) the phone is not showing up in the screen above as shown below. my phone is only charging when plugged into my computer. and I have plugged it into different computers with the same results.

verizon 2.png

How can I fix this so I can get at the micro SD card that I do have inserted and to be able to see the Phone again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the shot of the computer screen.
Do you get any type of error message when you plug it up?
I have some steps that will help with the transfer of content from the device to the computer http://search.verizonwireless.com/?q=brightside transfer.

Tamara_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Gizmo501
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think I may have figured it out. I got my phone through Costco. Costco gives you 2 different Chargers (1 with a wall mount/car adapter, and the other a wall mount) with a cable on each. I was using the Costco cable which they give with all their phones to try and transfer files. I just found my other wall mount cable and that seemed to have it connect.

0 Likes