Software Update: Pantech Hotshot
justme327
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been trying to update my software for my Pantech Hotshot for quite some time now. Every time I try to update the software, it always seems to fail. Is there any way I can fix this problem?

Please help.

Thanks,

S.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Software Update: Pantech Hotshot
pagtun

I've been having the same problem.  I can download the update but it fails when trying to install.  It returns an error code 403.  I spent hours on the phone with Verizon.  They are sending me a replacement phone.  Hope the next one will work.  I'll let you know.

0 Likes
justme327
Enthusiast - Level 1

Please do so. I would really appreciate it.

0 Likes
mj1968

Software Update: Pantech_CDM8992_B851F_BC44F.

Code: 403.

Date: Jan 30, 2012.

Software Version: D8992VWB851F.235

Hardware Version: REV_01

Software Update Client: iMDM 5.5

Update downloads over-the-air with no problems, but will not install. Returns Error Code: 403  Tried dialing *228, but that did not resolve the issue either. Called VZW Support, tried re-downloading and Re-installing with rep on land-line phone - no luck, same results. Update is only 3.2MB. I have over 200MB of available memory on phone, with more than 1GB left on the memory card, too. I have disabled Bluetooth temorarilly, and moved all my media to the memory card. None of these have fixed the problem.

Rep says they are aware of the problem - said they had other comments about it but no resolution at this time, and no info about what the update is actually supposed to do once it does install. The software update has only been available for 2 days, so the rep says they're still in the process of gathering information and finding a fix for it.

VZW Rep suggested watching these forum discussions and periodically re-trying the download/install process.

(Settings > Phone Info > Software Update > Check New) In the meantime, he said VZW would contact Pantech about a solution to the problem.

• @pagtun: I'm not sure that getting a new phone will solve the issue, as it would have probably been manufactured before this update was available (2 days ago). That newer Hotshot will probably have the same software from the factory, which will then result in having to go through this same update frustation all over again. It might be worthwhile to wait for the solution to be pushed out, or to wait until a phone can be shipped to you that has been manufactured with the updated software pre-installed. Just a suggestion... Hope you have better luck soon!
0 Likes
jimseverson

Just got my Pantech Hotshot today.  Via the phone it say update available, via VZW PC SOFTWARE CHECKING PROGRAM it says it's "up to date", no update available.

If and when this update is fixed, via the phone the update say's "data charges may occur" or something like this.

Anyone know if VZW charges for DATA on phone firmware updates.  I don't think the 3.2 MB update would be worth 4 x $1.99/MB or $7.96.

Thanks.

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I just tried updating my HotShot and got "Server Unavailable" - three times in a row.  Maybe this means they have taken the update down for repair, or are putting up a new version. Or maybe it means....pigs can fly.

0 Likes
eks1910
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just went to use my phone and notice that Verizon wanted tp push an update, so I let it, but it failed as well.

Source: Verizon Wireless

Name: Pantech_CDM8992_B851F-BC44F

Update Time: 5:00

Vendor: Pantech

Size: 3244kB

Description: This software update includes entrancement and improvements to your Pantech Hotshot (CDM8992)

I've tried to do this a couple of times, and each time it fails, anyone know if this can be done using a PC?

0 Likes
pagtun

Thanks....I guess we'll just have to wait until they fix the problem. Don't they test this stuff on their network before its released it to customers??

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
pantechuser
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't see what the big deal is that much all it is is a mixed up software update that probably won't do much to the already basic phone. I do realize it is frustrating to have a download and it fail on many attempts.

But also why could it not be able to be downloaded on a computer then to the phone?

0 Likes
pagtun

The dialer on the phone was acting buggy. It would blank out then come back on erratically. I though a software update might fix the problem. But to my dismay the update failed! Not good.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes