Re: Software Update: Pantech Hotshot
pagtun

Verizon told me that you can't update the phone software using a PC. Anyway, I'm still waiting for them to fix this issue. It amazes me that they have not pulled the update back since it obviously has problems. I guess they would rather antagonize their customers.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

interesting, since the phone has software one it that can be installed to check for updates. but, whatever. rather obvious that the CS reps are far from omniscient on these things.

0 Likes
Software Update: Pantech Hotshot
mj1968

Today it worked! I had given up trying to force the phone to go searching for an update in wasting my time with an unsuccessful install. Today the phone lit up after lunch, downloaded the update, and installed it SUCCESSFULLY on its own!

I have no idea what the update actually did to improve the phone, but at least the OTA update service is working as advertised.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
pagtun
0 Likes
eks1910
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well being somewhat encouraged by the latest posting saying it worked I

gave it a shot, I'll be damned if it didn't work for me as well.

0 Likes
pagtun
0 Likes
dieseldon

I can also confirm that the update is now working... after multiple failed attempts over the last two weeks I just tried it again today after checking this thread and the software successfully updated to version .236.  I had called tech support a few times and they were willing to send reconditioned phones with the updated software installed, but I decided to wait to see if they would fix the OTA update. 

Seems that VZW and Pantech must have addressed the issue and VZW is to be commended for being responsive to the complaints... just don't understand why they can't post some kind of web announcement for Hotshot users instead of making us play detective.  

0 Likes
pantechuser
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sweet it worked for me too!!!!!! Its about time.

0 Likes
jimseverson

Glad to see this update is now working for everyone, Still not sure why it worked for me last week.

So... Has anyone found any "entrancement and improvements" as promised by this update?

0 Likes
pagtun

I haven't noticed any difference. It doesn't seem like they fixed anything that would result in a better user experience. It's still slow to respond and texting is error prone. There is also one other really annoying aspect of the phone. Let's say you call a number where you have to enter an account number, or go through a menu system. You know, dial 1 for returns, 2 to blah blah ...and so on... Anyway, the annoying thing about the phone is that the screen will blank out as you are trying to enter a number, or series of numbers. You have to shake the phone to get the screen to turn back on! I know they do this to save battery life but really! I have to shake the phone three times to enter a 9 digit account number!

Like I have said before the idea of a basic phone that has a big screen and virtual keyboard is great. It just needs some polishing to be a great phone. At this point I don't know if Pantech is up to the task.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes