Switch phones.
yra

I want to switch from my phone to a phone that a friend gave me and keep my number.  The online directions do not say anything (unless I'm really blind) about either the SIM card or the phone number.  Can anybody give me some clues?  thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Switch phones.
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

What phone are you trying to swap to?  If the two phones are both Verizon branded, and the one from your friend is not currently active on another line or linked to a delinquent account, then calling customer service should get it activated for you.  You can also call *228 option 1 on the phone you want to switch to (and turn your current phone OFF) and follow the prompts.  Unless it's a 4G phone with a SIM card...  it would be really helpful if we knew which phone you want to switch to...

0 Likes
yra

Thank you for replying!

I want to switch from a LG UX5500

to a Samsung SCH U550.

They are both Verizon branded.

The display of the old phone is broken so I cannot "see" anything in the phone but I can still place and receive calls.

I think that the LG doesn't even have a SIM card so maybe that isn't an issue.

The Samsung has a spot to put a micro SD card in.

thanks again for your help

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

All you should need to do is turn off the LG, then turn on the Samsung, dial *228 and choose option 1.  Enter the phone number you want the phone to work on (your line), and it will probably ask for the billing passcode (the last 4 of your SSN or the account owner's SSN, unless you have changed it).

If, for some reason, it cannot be activated  this way, you will either be directly connected to customer service to complete the activation, or you will be directed to call customer service from a landline or other phone NOT connected to your account and they will get the job done.

Hope this helps,

Suzy