Verizon Family Talk and Text Plan does not include quality simple feature phones with keyboards
jsh

Texting for the busy family has become essential, yet Verizon doesn't appear to want their business.  In order to get a quality texting phone, you're forced into their data plan for each family member.   Not only is this not affordable for most families, it's just excessive and not needed for most teenagers.

Has there been any indication of Verizon's intention to address this need for quality simple-feature phones with keyboards?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Family Talk and Text Plan does not include quality simple feature phones with keyboards
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

There was an announcement here on the forums about the new data plans yes.The data plans went into play on Jan 18th. Here are a couple of threads where people have complained of the issue:

Data plan 1

Data plan 2

Data plan 3

I suggest writing to the CEO of Verizon and also filing a complaint with the FCC about the data plans. Also check out-->Reasons For Data Charges

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Family Talk and Text Plan does not include quality simple feature phones with keyboards
hsmmq

TheGreatOne wrote:

There was an announcement here on the forums about the new data plans yes.The data plans went into play on Jan 18th. Here are a couple of threads where people have complained of the issue:

Data plan 1

Data plan 2

Data plan 3

I suggest writing to the CEO of Verizon and also filing a complaint with the FCC about the data plans. Also check out-->Reasons For Data Charges

Writing the CEO of Verizon does not help!!!  I did and received a call from Excutive Relations and all he kept on saying was... 1)  Verizon is not forcing a data plan...

2)  and yes you have a choice (the crappy simple feature phones)...

3)  this is to protect the customer from overage charges  (even though Verizon themselves are causing the overage charges by falsely charging data to customers who do not use data on their phones)...

4)  yes we contacted you to let you know we received your concerns but stand strong on our decision..

Then ended the call with "Let's just agree to disagree".  Meaning they are not going to do anything. 

I believe what they are doing is called "tying".  Tying is the practice of making the sale of one good to the de facto or de jure customer conditional on the purchase of a second distinctive good (the tied good). It is often illegal. 

So I encourage everyone to complain to the Federal Trade Commission https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ and the FCC http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

0 Likes
hotpinkx3

the new LG COSMOS is a really good quality key board phone.  It is classified under a "simple feature" phone and does not required any data. hope that helps!

0 Likes
hsmmq

hotpinkx3 wrote:

the new LG COSMOS is a really good quality key board phone.  It is classified under a "simple feature" phone and does not required any data. hope that helps!

Some of the reviews that I have read are not that great.  To upgrade to a LG Cosmos to me is more like downgrading especially since it doesn't play music (MP3) either.

0 Likes
hotpinkx3

I never read reviews. because people will complain about a phone and what they do with it. for instance, i have an enV touch, and i use the internet heavily. my battery life is not so great. But if you dont browse the web its a fantastic phone. people will complain. I would suggest actually getting the phone or going to your local store and holding it and seeing how it works. Other great phones for text messaging/simple feature phones/mps player is the Verizon Razzle and the motorola rival. The razzle even comes with a 1gb memory card made for storing music and has designated mp3 player buttons for listening to music. Hope that helps!

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

the intensity has a keyboard, is great for texting, has a decent camera, does not require a data plan, plays MP3s and more, ect...

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

M91-30 wrote:

the intensity has a keyboard, is great for texting, has a decent camera, does not require a data plan, plays MP3s and more, ect...

Don't forget some of the discontinued Verizon keyboard phones also don't require a data plan

0 Likes
fonger
Enthusiast - Level 3

hsmmq wrote:
Writing the CEO of Verizon does not help!!!  I did and received a call from Excutive Relations and all he kept on saying was... 1)  Verizon is not forcing a data plan...

2)  and yes you have a choice (the crappy simple feature phones)...

3)  this is to protect the customer from overage charges  (even though Verizon themselves are causing the overage charges by falsely charging data to customers who do not use data on their phones)...

4)  yes we contacted you to let you know we received your concerns but stand strong on our decision..

Then ended the call with "Let's just agree to disagree".  Meaning they are not going to do anything. 

[edit]

{discussions of moderator actions should be done through PM. Thank you}

This means they're starting to worry that the anti data plan group is gathering too much steam.  Chances are they're seeing more customers leaving than they has estimated it to be.  Best option to get them to see your point is to leave.  The downer is most of us who would have a problem with this data plan are ones who have family plans.  I'm stuck till later this year, I don't plan on sticking around if the pricing stay were it's at, there are much better deals at the other carriers.

0 Likes
fonger
Enthusiast - Level 3

fonger wrote:
[edit]

{discussions of moderator actions should be done through PM. Thank you}

This means they're starting to worry that the anti data plan group is gathering too much steam.  Chances are they're seeing more customers leaving than they has estimated it to be.  Best option to get them to see your point is to leave.  The downer is most of us who would have a problem with this data plan are ones who have family plans.  I'm stuck till later this year, I don't plan on sticking around if the pricing stay were it's at, there are much better deals at the other carriers.

The editted part in my previous post was related to the Just say no to data requirement Facebook page.  Just want to let you guys know that we no longer have the option to post that link here anymore.

0 Likes