Re: Voyager not working after not being used
Not applicable

Robin- My goal is not to upset you by any means.  I am simply trying to provide an explanation as to what happened.  The forums are for other people to see as well, and if there are any other people out there that are having similar issues, they can see this response as well.  I do not have your account information in front of me, and I can by no means "prove" what notifications you received.  I believed you mentioned that text messaging was blocked too.  Basically the the certificate was pushed out and downloaded by the old server to the phone telling the phone to route to the new server in the Media Center.  Since the old server no longer exists, there is no way to get the certificate.  The old server is no longer accessible. If you would like to PM me with your cell number, I can definitely get in contact with you to further explain this certificate/server issue.

Have you tried my steps to make sure it's not a problem with data altogether?  Does your My Account/My Verizon App work on the phone?

0 Likes
RobinCB

MikeS1_VZW,

You are missing my point.  I understand that Verizon has discontinued the server that this certificate needed.  I did not know that that server is now gone.

Yes, believe me, I've gone through everything anyone can think of to determine it is this certificate that is the issue.

My point is that it does not seem that Verizon notified customers sufficiently.

Robin

0 Likes
RobinCB

Note that I don't consider this solved by any means.  Verizon seems to have discriminated by sending text messages to current users not taking into consideration that some phones were temporarily not being used and, more importantly, that some users don't text but still use Backup Assistant and/or other catalog features.  Verizon sends advertising emails out all the time.  What would it have hurt to have sent a separate email to that customer list which listed the affected phones and what needed to have been done if they ever intended on accessing their catalog ever again.

I think Verizon should take a look at this Community alone to see how many people are having issues with this.  I assume there are other similar sites and many who just gave up or were told there was a problem with their phone (like I was) or told the Media Center was down (as I was told later).

If these were old phones (old as your users/customers would consider not Verizon since Verizon considers these phones old), I would understand and not be making such a big issue of this.  Verizon should try to see it from their customers' viewpoint.

Robin

0 Likes
rpstrilaeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mike (and all readers),

We have an LG Voyager and decided to try out the VZ Navigator, and were surprosed by this error.

How can I update my phone so that I can buy this application?

Do you have an answer to getting past this Catalog Not Found error?

Is your asnswer to throw away a perfectly good phone?

Help!

0 Likes
Not applicable

We are not suggesting that you throw away the phone by any means.  All other aspects of the phone will continue to work fine.  If there was any possible workaround or way to get the certificate after the 6-month update period has passed, I would share it in a heartbeat with everyone.  The phone cannot be replaced, flashed, etc.  to get access.  The phone simply cannot download new applications from the catalog.  The mobile web, My Verizon, picture messaging, and all other data features of the phone will continue to work.  

I hope that answers your question.

0 Likes
samieshines

So wait, let me get this straight, if I were to buy a Voyager from eBay or Amazon and I wanted to do the VZW Navigator, I wouldn't be able to access it?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

samieshines wrote:

So wait, let me get this straight, if I were to buy a Voyager from eBay or Amazon and I wanted to do the VZW Navigator, I wouldn't be able to access it?

Not necessarily - IF the phone was active and accessed the Get It Now catalog in the period (6 months or so) prior to March 25, 2011, then you are good to go.  However, if the phone did NOT access the catalog, and so did not receive the updated certificate, at this point there is apparently no way to get the certificate and the catalog is inaccessible.

So it depends on whether the phone was active and accessed the catalog in the 6 months or so the certificate update was available - and you probably have no way of knowing that unless you try NOW to access it.  Either you'll be able to or you won't.  The seller may not have a clue either; if the phone was inactive in the time frame the certificate was available, then it did not receive any text messages or notifications about this.  Even those of us with active phones seemed to have missed it all.  :smileysad:

0 Likes
samieshines

Wow, that's kinda..nevermind. But thanks for the answer. Means I probably won't be getting a LG Voyager 😕

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

samieshines wrote:

Wow, that's kinda..nevermind.  Yep - I totally agree.  :smileyindifferent:  :smileymad:

0 Likes
Not applicable

SuzyQ is definitely right when she mentioned it depended on when the phone was active in this certificate update process.  I get that it's frustrating if you have one of the affected models, but I don't want to waste anyone's time or give them false hope/information.  While the situation may not be the prettiest in the world, people can now view this thread for a comprehensive understanding of the issue.

0 Likes