What happened to the old Verizon
tammyrich3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I realize Verizon has grown, but somehow I wish they would start caring about all of us who helped them get here.  I have been a customer for 17 years at least.  My contract just ended and I went with another carrier.  I still have two lines on Verizon and hope to end them also and go to another carrier.  My daughter wants to stay with Verizon but the last time I called they won't let her upgrade or start her own account unless she pays a fortune or changes her number.  I remember when I started I got a phone for $10.00 and no questions, and for years had the best customer service ever.  But now beware, when you call customer service you will get a different answer each time.  Thru wrong information twice, I was told i had to change my number when i switched carriers only to change it, call back and was told I didn't have to.  I have emailed, called, complained over the last two years and from looking at this forum it is getting worse.  If enough people leave then maybe something can be done.  I just want to make it until december and then my problems hopefully will be gone.  Good luck.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: What happened to the old Verizon
Jiminraleigh
Contributor - Level 2

Tammy,

I have been told that I was "not Helping the situation" by complaining about my service or by stating that I was checking out other service providers....and I may NOT be helping (Verizon) - but I pray that I am helping individuals/families who are strapped or cannot afford the new pricing plans offered here.

All other providers (ya, AT&T too) offer lower priced service and most offer more data and no contracts.  Not sure if all of us VZN folks can afford Roll Royce level service. I CAN afford it, but I choose not to.  T-Mobile will buy out any time remaining on a VZN contract.  Other providers will offer better plans and so much better pricing that anyone can recover their ETF within a few months - then profit.  I am working the numbers for my 2 children and their spouses and my wife and I.  After contracts are done, we will only save 185.00 per month. But we will get better plans, better phone prices and unlimited data.  That alone makes sense.  I believe that others on this forum are expressing their honest feelings in favor of VZN. Until I got ripped with ridiculous prices for upgraded service, I would too.  However, too many folks are becoming less enchanted with us here at VZN and are looking elsewhere. 

As you have been told, the ONLY way to make an impression is to leave. You may be offered the opportunity to return with a decent package - but that will not happen until you make a move.

Just a hint - do NOT sign a 2-year contract again - with anyone. Month-month is the only way to go. When looking at other providers, accept what is written, not what is said (our words are cheap and you cannot ever prove that we stated anything outside of company policy).  Once we have you in a contract, you are ours.

Phones can always be purchased on line cheaper than from a service provider - and with the exception of Republic Wireless, most phones for most service providers will be available from multiple sources on line. (Not talking Republic down, it is just that their service requires that you purchase a specially-programmed phone from them. In return, they will provide a least costly service - but the phone you buy is YOURS.)

Good Luck.

dext1

I admit I am a little slow... It only took me over two-months to realize Verizon is definitely the most incompetent company I have ever dealt with regarding customer service and normal ethical business practices. I am reluctant to say ethical - with Verizon, as I am positive it is mainly incompetence that is creating problems, and a total lack of customer care driven from the top - down... However, Verizon continually charges extreme bizarre amounts for services not contracted by me - the customer, and provides no receipts or verification - unless you go online. Even if you go online, I found you may not be able to access the information, and then you have to call to try to get through smoke and mirrors to actually talk to someone - who is probably high on crack which is evidenced on having to call back to either solve the same problem, or newly initiated ones as a result of the last call you made to customer service... The lack of ethical practices is evident after I stupidly ordered FIOS for my deceased parents house I am moving to, used my social to establish the account, and found that Verizon had set the account up in my Mother's name - which  I could not access...meanwhile an astounding bill came in for $799.00 after two-months, and no other communications prior... My Mom passed away two-years ago.

Now, after another 8 hours on the phone, and weeks of trying, Verizon could not explain what happened, and to make matters ludicrous,  Verizon finally realized that I could not access this account, as I had no information to do so, as they had sent all activation information etc. to my Mother's e-mail account, which is de-activated... (I guess Verizon just deleted the undeliverable messages..). I am still fighting this as Verizon told me the only way to get FIOS now, was to re-order and establish an account in my name, re-install the equipment, and send the new equipment that was originally installed - back to Verizon. I told them I did not live in the house yet, so I need the new replacement equipment delivered to my house I currently live in. Of course the equipment was delivered to my Mom's house instead, and sat in the rain. I worked all week and my Mom's neighbor called me and said they had brought boxes from Verizon off the porch that were out in the rain... I have received calls and numerous "warning" messages on my wireless phone about not returning the FIOS equipment yet, and then actual calls about this - all in one-week of trying to straighten the account out - with my own tiresome actions and diligence - over the course of over 8 hours and numerous calls to management levels...

So, about the wireless Verizon account.... Verizon was even more crafty in this sham...

I recently purchased a 5s, got home, and my charger, the quick-start book and my copy of the order were all missing...I guess Verizon learned this trick from fast-food restaurants... miles away you find - No cheese, missing burger, and paid anyway... I called the store and they said there was nothing they could do, and must have thrown it all away... but,  could go online and try to figure it out my account on my own...  My account of course was messed up, and it took over 10 hours, over two-weeks, and multiple calls to management levels to try to straighten my account out. I was supposed to have a pro-rated account, with defined charges, and in weeks received a bill demanding immediate payment for $799.00 for this first bill. When I placed the account at the store, I was verbally informed my phone and total for the account would be around $500.00, and would incur a monthly bill for mouch less than I am still being charged... It took multiple lengthy calls, and eventually a re-visit to the store 1 hour away to straighten this out over a month - with extreme repetitive effort through multiple calls - up to management levels. I eventually gave up and paid the entire amount - as I needed the phone. Now I am thinking of claiming breach of contract for continued lack of fulfillment of contract, as my account is continuously overcharged and I have to call and spend over an hour - each time to kick-start Verizon to modify my contract to its original pricing. O What is amazing is trying to find out why I am being charged for extra mysterious usage - that is impossible to pull up and is just cited as a due... My bill is now $50.00 higher, and nothing has changed and my data and phone usage is under the limits.

Well, I am sure I will find Verizon is going to attack my credit score next for no reason, oops, should not have told them that!!! Of course, I could always pay the fee to just turn it all back - which is probably a deal! at this point!!

Well, I am sure there is some FCC or government oversight that will make Verizon account for their actions. I am lucky I have attorneys for friends, and am thinking of dumping Verizon for breach of contract, and guaranteed customer and quality services, as I do not have time to continually call for hours to straighten out their monthly bills...

Also, when you do call Verizon, and you will have to, do not buy any of the crap from the sales pitch - they push online before you actually figure out a way to talk to someone - anyone... make sure you straighten out the original order you placed.

0 Likes
Catbird9
Contributor - Level 2

"Just a hint - do NOT sign a 2-year contract again - with anyone."

I agree with you Jiminraleigh, excellent advice. Most consumers are not inclined to read and understand what they are signing, and the carriers know this. They also know people are addicted to their smart phones, dependent on being connected to social networks and streaming media at all times, thus making themselves easy prey for the corporate "dealers" who happily cater to their addictions. Many employers now subsidize employees' cell phones, some even pay the entire cost...a nice perk, but again fueling the addiction on all fronts.

There are alternatives to the big four carriers...you can save a lot of money by doing a little research and taking control of your phone usage. Or you can blame it all on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, they're all pretty much the same when it comes to milking as much as they can from customers. Those 2-year contracts are bread-and-butter for them.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our last option is to lose you as a valued customer Jiminraleigh. Why leave the quality of the best network and customer support? You and your family deserve nothing less! Please tell me how I can help save your business.

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jiminraleigh
Contributor - Level 2

Dear Verizon Customer Support.....

If you read my postings here, you will find that I love Vzn customer Service - nothing against you.

The issue is the change in business practices that have been imposed on all of us. You guys are on the front line and are taking the heat for new corporate policies. I regret to tell you that I will likely go with "another service provider" - unnamed here because I have been accused of spamming because I mentioned another service provider (several times)...that I decided to test.

I was driven to test other options after I tried to add 2 smart phone lines and was insulted with a price tag of $320.00. That price drove me to look at options. I found that I could better my annual cost with ALL other service providers.

I am currently testing a provider (free, 30-day trial) who grants super great coverage in my entire county, unlimited everything and $25.00 per line, per month without a contract. If not driven by Vzn to look elsewhere, I would never have known about this option.

So, my great history with the company means NOTHING. Vzn has great customer service and I have demonstrated tolerance for ever-growing price plans. However, the insulting "Share Everything" plan has driven me to look elsewhere.

Again, it is not clear to me that my "home provider - Vzn" has service plans that can compete successifully with ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Republic Wireless. Blog-published comments state that Vzn is moving to 3rd party customer service call centers. When that happens, the only remaining advantage (outside of voice coverage in rural areas) will be gone. I am simply looking at jumping ship in advance of the (customer-anticipated) limited data, increased pricing and reduced customer service.

Summary,

The ball is in the Vzn court. I have 5 lines that I am responsible for. I will obtain unlimited everything (1- 4G, 4- 3G lines) with already-tested coverage, for $135.00 per mouth, no contract. What can my "home provider-Vzn) do to compete/keep us?

Jim

0 Likes
Not applicable

Please give it a rest.

You have been told over and over that Verizon is not going to offer you anything better than anyone else.

That Republic Wireless I believe was also debunked on another thread. No one is stopping you from leaving for other service.

You are one customer out of 110 million. No matter if you spend $250 a month for those lines it really is not hurting Verizon since you leave and they get two more to replace you.

There are plenty of choices out there. You said you researched them, if you can find service that is good for you in every place you frequent then go for it.

I hope it works out.

Good Luck

CRSJ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Give what a rest, free speech. These forums are for people to get help. If you don't like a post, then guess what, don't read it. Obviously you've never complained about anything in your life. Otherwise, you might have an ounce of empathy for someone else's right to voice their opinion.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you public advocate.

This same story is posted in other threads. I have nothing against free speech.

But as the the same posting gets kind of repetitive my free speech rights are to say what I feel.

Good Luck

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Incidentally, "free speech" has nothing to do with a Verizon(or anyone's for that matter) hosted forum. The owner of the forum has the right to edit/censor any content they choose.