What is "Network Extender"?
rotcmom

I just upgraded to a Samsung Intensity 2 yesterday, and today my home screen says "Network Extender".  My little bit of research says that you have to have a Network Extender installed at your home for this to work - well, I don't have one!  It also said that it will decrease the battery life.  How can I get rid of this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What is "Network Extender"?
detroitjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

A Network Extender is a signal booster that utilizes your home's broadband internet connection to place/receive calls. If you are in a fringe coverage area or get poor service due to the construction of your home, it would be a good option to improve service. As ANN154 stated, perhaps a neighbor of yours has a network extender in their home and your phone is finding it.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connecting to a neighbor's?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

detroitjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

A Network Extender is a signal booster that utilizes your home's broadband internet connection to place/receive calls. If you are in a fringe coverage area or get poor service due to the construction of your home, it would be a good option to improve service. As ANN154 stated, perhaps a neighbor of yours has a network extender in their home and your phone is finding it.

Wildman
Legend

Ann and detroitjames seems to answered your question well as for what the device is, now as for the part of disconnecting you could go into settings for network and set the device to use home network and it wont try to access the extender.

Also the statement about shorting battery life is incorrect because you have a stronger signal so the device wont have to scan for signal as much which will increae battery life, the only issue I would see from this is if you have a 4G device because the network extender isnt 4G compatible so the network may not work or will switch to 3G more.