When people call me my phone never seems to ring....
johnnyr787
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had this problem since I started with Verizon years ago and I have had about 4 different phones with the company. People will call my phone and they claim the phone rings and rings until finally the voice mail picks up but the strange thing about it is that my phone does not ring. Yet I have never had dropped call problems and when I check the volume is on in fact at full blast so if it rang you would probably jump out of your seat from how loud it was lol. I checked and it shows I have at least 3 bars of service.

I live about 2 hours away from New York City but my parents and my sister all live down in Florida and they too have the same exact problem. It rings sometimes but not always. I used to get some sort of alert whenever someone left me a voice mail and now I get none. I just happen to know people call me because I check my voice mail and it said I have 3 new messages all from different people who claim they called me at a certain time but the thing is the phone is right here next to me and it has not rung at all.

My dad has a Samsung Galaxy smartphone and he has the same problem with that and previous phones. My mom just upgraded herself to an iphone and both me and my sister have basic phones until our next possible upgrade we will upgrade to smartphones. But the point is I have no clue why I have this problem when I should not have this at all. Even Verizon confirmed there are no service problems where I live or down where my parents live so service is not the issue here and the maps show that both me and my family are covered. Any idea on why it is when people call their calls do not go through for me and why I get no voice mail updates when someone leaves a voice mail?

Just so annoying. But the help is greatly appreciated. Not sure if anyone has this same problem. I used to have Virgin Mobile years ago before we got Verizon even though the service sucked I never had this kind of problem I described.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: When people call me my phone never seems to ring....
Brecht2006

Check your blocked numbers list? it might be the problem. I had the same problem.

0 Likes
johnnyr787
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope sorry but it has nothing to do with blocked numbers because I checked and I don't have anyone blocked at this time so I have no clue how that could even be a problem. Lots of people have been reporting the same problem for a long time it seems. I am just now starting to see the number of old forum posts here about the same issue. I think this is a problem on Verizons end not mine. I think like over half the people who call me get a voice mail after a few rings but my phone wont ring. Thanks for posting something though. I appreciate the attempt.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you done a 'tower update' lately?  (dial *228, then press option 2).  That's helped some folks; others, like you say, are reporting that it's a network issue in their area.

0 Likes
johnnyr787
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very interesting I will try that again although I already did that 3x and it did not solve the problem. I have been having this same problem for years it just so happens about 5 months ago I moved here to this new apartment and the problem happens more often but everyone else that lives around here that I know who has Verizon does not seem to be affected by this problem. I called and they said it was not a network issue cause network in the area was good and no reports were made of network problems.

Last time the issue was I was unable to send picture messages to my friends then I found out someone had put a block on my phone and that was why but I never requested a block. So they removed it but I guess I can check if maybe someone did a block on my phone but if that was the case I doubt anyone would be able to call me at all and that is not the case considering my parents both have spoken to me this week and when they called I got both calls rang on my phone. I'm going to try *228 again and see if that helps but I did 3x before and it still did not solve the issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can only imagine how frustrating and annoying it must be to not receive calls on your phone when people are saying that they are calling you & they clearly are because you are getting the message (when they leave them).
Since you have had the problem for years and there have been 4 replacement phones, have we filed a trouble ticket? What we will need is a time the message was left on your phone when you are not getting the calls to come through. This will help us get to the bottom of this.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Thanks for taking the time to dial *228 and checking the volume.
Since you are not getting voice mail alerts, please dial voice mail, enter your password, select personal options, and select message waiting indicator to make sure it is enabled.

What is the signal like on your phone? Does it fluctuate where you are?

0 Likes
Canon_Kayaker71
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm sick of it!

When it happened last year, and earlier this year, I was quick to call Verizon tech support, and each time resulted in them sending me a different phone. At first it was refurbished phones, then it was a brand new phone....none of it made a bit of difference, as I'm finding out the problem still exists. I got bumped up to whatever level of priority they say has all my complaints on file, but what does it matter?

I'm getting my text messages 30 minutes to up to 2 hours later (there's a "stored" indication under the message info), and my phone doesn't ring when someone calls, nor do I get a missed call indication. A voicemail comes through out of the blue.

Just this morning, my cousin leaves me a message, worried beyond belief that something happened to me because I've not been returning his calls....this was the first time he's left a message of the 4 other times he's called, yet I had no idea he had been trying to call since NO MISSED CALL ALERTS ARE SHOWING UP!!!!

I'm fed up with you Verizon. I don't have time to waste an hour sitting on the phone while tech support has me jump through hoops trying to solve this issue by doing things that don't fix the problem. Turning phone off, pulling out battery, putting back in battery, powering up phone, doing the 228 network update, checking my settings, blah blah blah...your system stinks, and it's broke.

I could care less when you charge me the $175 or $200 early termination fee. I'm leaving this headache behind me....

I refuse to upgrade to 4G, while continuing to pay for a service that has proven multiple times that it's unreliable, and quite frankly, a breech in the contract of the service I'm supposed to be receiving with my monthly payment.

johnnyr787
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am sorry if I have not been able to respond sooner. I am taking night and day classes during the week so have been as busy as ever with school. But well I will give this a shot. As for signal well here is the deal. On campus no one gets signal. I know people who have all sorts of cell phone services you name it and they wont get signals. But the verizon maps shows we are covered all over campus. Some people suspect because the building is made completely out of metal that would cause us to never get service cause when we go into the building next door which is a brick building we get service fine no matter what provider.I know people who use iphones on verizon and get no service at school. But outside of school and outside the building and anywhere else I go to I get perfect service. Even where I live I live in like the middle of the woods here where there are tons of trees and when people complain they get no service I am showing at least 3 our of 4 bars of service and am able to text my friends for a while and texts go through no problems.

However sometimes I go to take my phone out and I will notice the bars jump like I can have 4 bars of service then it jumps to 2 bars then it says 1X with no bars then it says EV then it goes back to like 4 bars then back to 3 where it stays on 3 for a while. This only happens once in a while. I usually do a simple phone restart by removing the battery and this solves that issue but as for making phone calls and sending texts (aside from being inside school) I have never had a problem making or sending a call or text. Only in school will my call fade and get lost. The problem with the time is that the voice mail does not give you the time the person who left the message called. I am not sure how to verify this because I even check my missed calls log and the person who left me the message well their number is no where to be found on my missed calls log.

My dad on the other hand just recently about a month ago upgraded his basic phone to the Samsung Galaxy III and he said he has the same exact issue the only difference is when someone leaves a voice mail his phone will send him a notification stating something like "you have one new voice mail" while as my phone does not pop up any messages. I missed a Dr.s appointment recently because something happened with my calender and I wrote down the wrong date. My dr.s office called to remind me of the appointment date but I missed it because I never got the call and they said they had left a voice mail which I had never gotten to begin with. I also made sure the volume on the phone was up in fact I had it higher then usual so if someone calls you might jump from the surprise call lol but yes anyways this is the status of the situation.

It appears it is something on the family plan. I had this problem before where I was unable to send and receive picture messages from people so when my parents would text me a picture of something from work or whatever my phone would not get it and they would ask me why and it turns out Verizon put a block on my phone so I could not get picture messages. They removed it at once and problem was solved. I am not sure if this could be a similar situation where you guys in Verizon put some sort of block on my phone that could have caused this to happen on my phone where the calls are not getting through? Or do you think it could be something else? It's me my parents and my sister and we have a family share plan and all of us have this same exact issue but I just seem to be having it a lot longer then they did. Sorry if this was long wanted to update the situation thanks for responding.

0 Likes
johnnyr787
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can relate to your frustration as can many other customers. My mom just got an iphone 4s and is already having problems with it and my dad has the Samsung Galaxy III smartphone and he had his for about a month now with same issues. However none of us have had problems sending or receiving text messages later then usual with the exception of me if I am on campus for class this is the one time where service might not be revived. I know you probably already did but maybe try checking the maps again? Make sure your area is covered? Because my ex had this very problem and it turned out the area my ex lived in had like no coverage on their maps so that was the issue. I have heard people say they have similar problems with other services and I have friends who use AT&T and T-mobile but you can give it a try. I know how frustrating this can be because I too have had to deal with Verizon customer support and I wont lie not always are they the best but at times they have helped me with a few of my problems. For what your paying a month you would think service could be better or that we could have better tech support is all I am saying. But Good luck in your choice and I hope you get your problem solved just as I hope to get mine solved. If not then good luck with whatever other company you choose to go with.

0 Likes
RL20169

Same problem for me...

0 Likes