Why dose Verizon Only have a Large Variety of "Smart Phones," and Only a few "Flip Phones?"
Herbal-Healer

Please tell me why Everyone and their family, has to run out and get the newest "Smart Phone" or whatever the name of whatever the manufacture wants to call it? 

The true points of it are: They are very expensive. - They are not very Durable. - The screen breaks easily.  Then you're done for and need a new phone. - You accidentally Butt Dial or if using Voice Command, dial the wrong person; which might be a costly mistake. - They are extra loud and hard to silence in a rush. - Why do you need 4G internet power if you work at a place where there is the internet, have the internet at home, have internet at school, and have access to the internet virtually everywhere.  Do you NEED to update your TWEETS every 2 minutes?  Change the status on your FACEBOOK PAGE every 5 minutes?  Virtually spy on what's going on in your house or room every half hour?  Look up your Horoscope then all of your friends, and then compare them to who you're all dating?  Perhaps you have to look up the funniest joke of the day?  Maybe watch "World's Dumbest." 

What I'm trying to say, is that unless you have a job where you are on call about 24 hours a day and your boss has to e-mail you photo's and details and you must look the information up before your arrival so you have a majority of the information when you get to where you're going, a regular everyday person does not need it. 

Imagine the cost of the phone.  Add the cost of any extras you purchase along with it.  Lets say a car charger, the data plan, unlimited text messaging, a protective case, the internet plan that's about $45 per month and whatever calling plan you choose.  Remember you also have a home phone and internet with WiFi at home too to pay for.  A bit much wouldn't you say? 

How about we put all that stuff away and get a cheaper, more durable and harder to break, no Butt dialing, no cracking the UNCOVERED front screen, it's light weight and easier to handle since it's smaller.  Palm phones or Flip phones still have awesome options about videos and pictures, screen images, options you can put on them and design.  You can still have a Great phone with a Data plan and an Unlimited Text messaging plan, Photos you can save on the phone and on a disk.

I for one WISH VERIZON would purchase more Palm Phones and Flip Phones from the Manufactures they buy from.  They are in DEMAND!  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why dose Verizon Only have a Large Variety of "Smart Phones," and Only a few "Flip Phones?"
budone
Legend

Data is in larger demand and that is where the cash cow is. NOT in a feature phone. As for me, I have had smartphones since 2006. Never a busted screen, never butt dialed. (Phones are not to be placed in back pocket)

Where I work, I am one of a handful that are allowed to use their smartphone as it makes my job easier and my boss' can contact me via a text, not via an overhead page. In addition, the phone makes the experience with my customers that much easier.

Internet is NOT virtually everywhere. And I am not ready to use someone else's connection do handle my business. Accessing a website or a newspaper or a wx forecast, sure. But not for my personal interactions with others or banking and such.

Re: Why dose Verizon Only have a Large Variety of "Smart Phones," and Only a few "Flip Phones?"
B33
Legend

That is great thing to be able to use it there not only can you use it for work but you can use in Emergency situations.!)  And in these days having a way to communicate with the authorities is keen..

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I understand your point, Herbal-Healer, realize you are in the minority.  You describe today's generation accurately - they feel they NEED to be connected 24/7, on the computer, with their phone by their side, and a tablet on the desk too - and messages flying back and forth constantly on all three... it's crazy but it's reality for many.

And the market is going to cater to the majority - basic phones are going to get harder and harder to find (can you find a phone WITHOUT a camera any more?).  A lot of folks are dumping their landlines and going totally cellular (my 4 grown children will probably never have a landline, hardwired phone) and communicate more via texting or email than by talking on the phone.  I'm not saying it's a good thing, just the way things have evolved.

Your best bet for finding a basic, solid phone, is a friend that may have some saved from days gone by, or eBay.  I wouldn't expect the newer phones offered by Verizon or most other carriers to be very basic any longer.

B33
Legend

Add my folks to this majority of old style flip phones Susie especially my dad he looks at my Razr Maxx and says all it does for him is cause confusion.! lol

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know what you mean ... my Dad calls my Bionic a 'smart aleck' phone. 

21stNow
Master - Level 1

I agree with the sentiment of other posters-everyone doesn't want the same thing.  Some people say that a cellular phone of any kind is not a need.  As for me personally, I want smartphones.  I haven't cracked a screen on the many smartphones that I have owned, but did crack a screen on a feature phone (the phone was still usable).  I haven't accidentally dialed anyone on a smartphone, but I did do this with basic phones in the past.  As for voice dialing, if I dial a person with my smartphone I listen to the voice-prompt confirmation before letting the call go through so that if it's the wrong person, I can disconnect before the call goes through.

I prefer smartphones and won't use a basic phone even in harsh environments.  I just revert back to an older smartphone that I keep for those purposes.  I consider myself an everyday person and only use my phones for work if I want to.  While I think that there should be basic and feature phones available to those that want them, I don't understand the displeasure with smartphone users that your post exudes.  Most people consider their income and then budget for their needs first, then their wants.  If people want to have internet connected devices wherever they go and can afford it, how is it a bad thing when they choose to do so?

0 Likes
Not applicable

First of all you could have made your point without the large type on comic sans font.

I for one have never butt dialed with my smartphone. Of course I am not stupid enough to keep my phone in my back pocket. Even if i did it would near impossible to butt dial anyway. You obviously never used a smartphone before.

Manufacturers are not making new flip phones. You;re blaming Verizon when it's the manufacturers fault. The only company that has come out with a new flip phone this year for Verizon is Samsung an they had 3 come out. Verizon can;t sell what doesn't exists.

As far as more expensive. Actually most smartphones are cheaper than the flip phones. 5 of their 9 flip phones are $80 or more to upgrade. You can get quiet a few smartphones for $50 or less. Even free.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Well 'Free'...... with a $30 upgrade fee! hahahahaha  Had to say it

0 Likes
Not applicable

Getting a phone that retails for $450 for the price of a $30 upgrade fee is pretty good. Anyone that complains about that needs their head examined.