Why, why, why is Verizon determined to drive me away by dropping all pretense of having any RUGGED basic phones?
thetowguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm using a beat up but still working Motorola Barrage.  It is RUGGED.  I actually lost one last year and since Verizon had nothing comparable I replaced it with one from ebay which is working just fine.  Buddy of mine with same phone asked me the other day did I notice Verizon had now dropped "ruggedized" as an available phone feature.  On researching and chatting here it appears the Kyocera Brigadier (smart phone, NOT a basic phone and I seriously doubt it could stand up to the abuse I give my Motorola) is the only device considered "rugged".

Verizon seems determined to drive away those of us in businesses that require a RUGGED BASIC (flip or brick) phone!!!

Labels (1)
Re: Why, why, why is Verizon determined to drive me away by dropping all pretense of having any RUGGED basic phones?
Tidbits
Legend

Manufacturers are making less and less basic phones. So the options are limited.

Re: Why, why, why is Verizon determined to drive me away by dropping all pretense of having any RUGGED basic phones?
thetowguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is the 800 pound gorilla in the wireless business; if they told the manufacturers they wanted something in a phone, the manufacturers would make it available.

BTW Sprint has 3 rugged basic models available; if their coverage was as good as Verizon I would probably be using their service already.

0 Likes
thetowguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

And two of those three models are Kyoceras, same as the Brigadier Verizon carries.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Manufacturers make the devices then shows it to carriers on what they make.  Carriers then decide if they want to carry it or not. 

Tidbits
Legend

Sprint may have a exclusive deal with Kyocera to make them devices for X number of years.  Verizon can't get them if they wanted at that point.  Similar to the Motorola Droid series of devices that Verizon had for 5 years.

B33
Legend

They use to have a Basic Casio model  don't know why they done away with it my older really like it he likes a rugged phone as well since he like doing allot of Outdoor activities.. Hunting, Fishing..

Brandy76
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree my man loved his Motorola Gzone but they have recently taken the newest one off the market!! A terribly idea for hard working men who need this kinda phone!!

bebe76
Enthusiast - Level 1

I ment Casio GZone

0 Likes
footballwizz692004
Contributor - Level 2

I agree, the Samsung Convoy 3 is rugged but not like the Casio series or even Kyocera. Unfortunately like others mentioned though, technology is constantly improving and advancing and the amount of customers that really want basic phones is dwindling. However it is my thought that if there is still a niche for rugged basic phones they should still be making them. Manufacturers to produce new models and build contracts with carriers to produce more, but carriers can also request certain specifications in phones and build a contract off of those requests as well.