Re: Will there be a 4G Basic phone with QWERTY keyboard?
vkjk
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Not a market"?  I love my 3g LG Env-Touch, and I typically have at least one person per week ask where they would be able to get one.  I like the layout of the Qwerty keyboard, and I like having both an internal and external screen, and that is exactly what all the other envious people like about it as well. (no pun intended.)  There is absolutely a market for such a device in 4g and whatever else the 2020 standards will require. 

There may be someone who wants the most basic flip phone to make nothing but voice calls, but I am guessing there are very few.  Not offering a basic phone with the qwerty keyboard is underserving a significant portion of the community.  The lack of interest in the generally crappy barely basic flip phones is not reflective of the many who want a phone that accomodates easy texting with excellent reception and voice.  No data, no social media.  A decent camera would be nice but is not a deal breaker for me.

Some of the old BlackBerry devices with an integrated number pad and Qwerty keyboard would also be very functional, but I would prefer the flip style to protect the keyboard and screen from damage as well as accidental activation.

KimmerddMT
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the LG Octane and love it, I was not happy to hear that because it is only 3g compatible I will be forced to get a different phone at the end of 2019. I have no desire for a big fat phone that doesn't fit in my pocket and has a cruddy battery life that I have to be teathered to a power outlet to use.

LoveMyQwerty
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today is 4/17/19. I just talked to a sales representative at Verizion. She said my old samsung slide will still work after December 31, 2019 because I am a prepaid customer. I have an senior plan for no data, unlimited text and calling for $30.00 a month. Is my service going to still be available  at Verizion? Is it in danger of being discontinued?

hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3

I contacted LG through their website , making the case that there would be a market for 4G compatible QWERTY phones. Here's their response:

[removed]

I thought LG would be the best option because their smart phone line is dropping out of the completely-saturated smartphone market. They seem to be in a good position to revive the niche market of the QWERTY flip phone.

Y'all can use the link above to submit your own inquiry, if they get a bunch that would help.

We might try Samsung too, they had the Alias phones which I've never owned but seemed decent. Samsung's business strategy seems to be "if in doubt, try everything" so it's worth a shot.

Content removed per Verizon Community Terms of Service

hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3

For me, I actually have a smart phone - and I keep it at home or in the car because it annoys me, with constant notifications, software updates, dead battery, the $30 data plan, the spying on your every word and move, and yes I have cracked several screens..

If you just want people to be able to reach you without being bothered unnecessarily .. the flip phones are great for that. If push comes to shove I'll probably buy one of the flip phones without the keyboard but that would be a major step back when it comes to texting.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

@LoveMyQwerty wrote:

Today is 4/17/19. I just talked to a sales representative at Verizion. She said my old samsung slide will still work after December 31, 2019 because I am a prepaid customer. I have an senior plan for no data, unlimited text and calling for $30.00 a month. Is my service going to still be available  at Verizion? Is it in danger of being discontinued?

Wrong

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@hearmenow123 wrote:

For me, I actually have a smart phone - and I keep it at home or in the car because it annoys me, with constant notifications, software updates, dead battery, the $30 data plan, the spying on your every word and move, and yes I have cracked several screens..

If you just want people to be able to reach you without being bothered unnecessarily .. the flip phones are great for that. If push comes to shove I'll probably buy one of the flip phones without the keyboard but that would be a major step back when it comes to texting.

Don't hold your breath on that slider phone. If LG doesn't have one in the pipeline now it would be couple of years until one is out even if they decide to come up with on today. it's been over a year possible closer to 2 since a new basic phone has even been released.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Verizon is phasing out the older network throughout this year and embracing the newer available networks such as 4G and 5G. If you have a device that is not able to access 4G services, it will not be able to be activated. Also, there is a high probability that non 4G devices will be phased out by the end of the year. MarcusS_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hearmenow123, keeping you connected with a device of your choice is important. We are here to assist with these concerns. Insurance, as shown on the following web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/equipment-protection-faqs/, is a good idea to have on a phone. This service provides screen repair and device replacements when needed. Smartphones require data plans. Here is a web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/ with our current plans and pricing to help with the concerns on price. Here is a web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/ with the available basic phones. Is there anything else that we can help with?

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
Burech
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

hearmenow123, keeping you connected with a device of your choice is important. We are here to assist with these concerns. Insurance, as shown on the following web page verizonwirelesscom/support/equipment-protection-faqs/, is a good idea to have on a phone. This service provides screen repair and device replacements when needed. Smartphones require data plans. Here is a web page verizonwirelesscom/plans/ with our current plans and pricing to help with the concerns on price. Here is a web page verizonwirelesscom/basic-phones/ with the available basic phones. Is there anything else that we can help with?

DavidC_VZW

Thanks for listening to us, but the main concern isn’t resolved with the links you provided that’s “physical qwerty keyboard” “basic” phone, and also the problem with google’s tracking and unimportant notification’s e.t.c.

We ask you please listen to us. thanks