Re: Will there be a 4G Basic phone with QWERTY keyboard?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@Burech wrote:

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

hearmenow123, keeping you connected with a device of your choice is important. We are here to assist with these concerns. Insurance, as shown on the following web page verizonwirelesscom/support/equipment-protection-faqs/, is a good idea to have on a phone. This service provides screen repair and device replacements when needed. Smartphones require data plans. Here is a web page verizonwirelesscom/plans/ with our current plans and pricing to help with the concerns on price. Here is a web page verizonwirelesscom/basic-phones/ with the available basic phones. Is there anything else that we can help with?

DavidC_VZW

Thanks for listening to us, but the main concern isn’t resolved with the links you provided that’s “physical qwerty keyboard” “basic” phone, and also the problem with google’s tracking and unimportant notification’s e.t.c.

We ask you please listen to us. thanks

Verizon doesn't make phones. What are they supposed to listen to? Basic phones thensleves are  not a large percentage of sales for phone makers. They also aren't a big money maker. Even smartphones havent had a slider in years. If someone did make such a phone I gaurantee you'll be paying $350-$400 for it. Are you willing to do that? You're going to have to accept you're choices

0 Likes
Betabob2
Enthusiast - Level 1

HEARMENOW says it all.  I'm just wondering, Since our "basic flip phones" still do the job, will they work on T-Mobil ? ?

When we purchased these phones they were already outdated, but were never told, and thru no fault of our own we must purchase new phones if we want to remain W/ Verizon.   

boringusername
Master - Level 1

@Betabob2 wrote:

HEARMENOW says it all.  I'm just wondering, Since our "basic flip phones" still do the job, will they work on T-Mobil ? ?

When we purchased these phones they were already outdated, but were never told, and thru no fault of our own we must purchase new phones if we want to remain W/ Verizon.   

You flip phones are CDMA so I don't see who they would work on t-mobile. And even t-moible is moving everything to LTE. Also when where you purchasing a phone that you claim was being sold as outdated?

0 Likes
hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support Is there a way Verizon will activate an Android phone without data plan? I know historically Verizon did not do that but MVNO's like Page Plus could do it.

There are some new Android phones with keyboards coming out. If I could activate one of these without paying for the $30/mo data plan , I would go for it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cosmo-communicator?utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campai...

https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hearmenow123, excellent question, being on top of your equipment options is vital, especially if you are considering purchasing a new device. Please be aware that at this point there are no plans to stop combining data plans with smartphones.

If you ever decide to get a new phone please check out our devices through this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/.

You can also see our special deals through this web page: https://www.verizonwireless.com/deals/.

Once you get a phone, don't forget to protect our investment. We offer some great options for every customer with our insurance programs. In the following link, you will find all the details you need to make sure you’re always protected: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/total-mobile-protection.

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@hearmenow123 wrote:

@vzw_customer_support Is there a way Verizon will activate an Android phone without data plan? I know historically Verizon did not do that but MVNO's like Page Plus could do it.

There are some new Android phones with keyboards coming out. If I could activate one of these without paying for the $30/mo data plan , I would go for it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cosmo-communicator?utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campai...

https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

No. what's the point of activating smartphone without a data plan?

0 Likes
hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3

No. what's the point of activating smartphone without a data plan?

You cannot buy a basic phone with QWERTY keyboard anymore., and the existing phones will stop working. 

But there are a few Android phones with QWERTY keyboards under development. These will support VoLTE and whatnot, so they will work >2020

If you can activate it without data plan you can use it as a basic phone. Granted it will still have some drawbacks like the fragile screen and higher cost, but it's better than nothing.

I spoke to Verizon customer service. They told me that only phones that *Verizon* has labeled as smart phones will trigger the requirement to add a data plan. So if you bring in a phone that's not in their system it will not trigger the data plan requirement. Even if it's an Android phone. 

The other thing the CS rep told me is that the new VoLTE (or HD voice as they call it)  flip phones are compatible with Verizon message+. This means that you can txt from a desktop computer or tablet with the Verizon message+ application. So that's another solution that may work for some people.

Today I visited the Verizon store but they are useless. They don't display any of the flip phones and when I asked about them I got a lot of wrong information, like the DuraXV was quoted to me at $480 whereas the Verizon site states that the retail price is $280.

So... I pre-ordered the Fxtec Pro1.

cmd612
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dmtlie44 wrote:

I would be willing to pay more to get a basic flip with a qwerty keyboard.

Me, too.  Doesn't even have to be flip, just not a smartphone. 

cmd612
Enthusiast - Level 2

@boringusername wrote:

@Burech wrote:

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

hearmenow123, keeping you connected with a device of your choice is important. We are here to assist with these concerns. Insurance, as shown on the following web page verizonwirelesscom/support/equipment-protection-faqs/, is a good idea to have on a phone. This service provides screen repair and device replacements when needed. Smartphones require data plans. Here is a web page verizonwirelesscom/plans/ with our current plans and pricing to help with the concerns on price. Here is a web page verizonwirelesscom/basic-phones/ with the available basic phones. Is there anything else that we can help with?

DavidC_VZW

Thanks for listening to us, but the main concern isn’t resolved with the links you provided that’s “physical qwerty keyboard” “basic” phone, and also the problem with google’s tracking and unimportant notification’s e.t.c.

We ask you please listen to us. thanks

Verizon doesn't make phones. What are they supposed to listen to? Basic phones thensleves are  not a large percentage of sales for phone makers. They also aren't a big money maker. Even smartphones havent had a slider in years. If someone did make such a phone I gaurantee you'll be paying $350-$400 for it. Are you willing to do that? You're going to have to accept you're choices

Umm. . . YES. Or even more.

The basic problem seems to me to be that most new tech is designed and marketed by young people who have forgotten that a lot of us old curmudgeons have money to spend . . . if only the products we wanted were being made.

cmd612
Enthusiast - Level 2

. . .

I spoke to Verizon customer service. They told me that only phones that *Verizon* has labeled as smart phones will trigger the requirement to add a data plan. So if you bring in a phone that's not in their system it will not trigger the data plan requirement. Even if it's an Android phone. 

. . .

So i could buy something like, say, a Blackberry that's Verizon-compatible and use it without a data plan as a basic phone?  That might give me what I want.  Thanks very much for that info.

0 Likes