Re: Will there be a 4G Basic phone with QWERTY keyboard?
LG82
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have you tried the LIGHT PHONE 2?  I just got it.  Not the best functionality but I am getting over my "I need to check my phone" addiction.  The keyboard is on screen but it is qwerty.  The letters are small but I am getting used to it with my fat thumbs.  I think they are open to suggestions about how to make it better.

Look for yourself!  https://www.thelightphone.com/

Juliska
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can find used & open bog QWERTY's on eBay. But how can one know if those are even 3g? Is 3g still in operation? How can I find out if my phone uses 3g? I have an LG Cosmos™ 3 that's been a real trooper since 2015! It replaced an identical one whose screen permanently bit the dust just a week ahead of it going off warranty. (Now how often does that happen?) 👍 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@Juliska wrote:

You can find used & open bog QWERTY's on eBay. But how can one know if those are even 3g? Is 3g still in operation? How can I find out if my phone uses 3g? I have an LG Cosmos™ 3 that's been a real trooper since 2015! It replaced an identical one whose screen permanently bit the dust just a week ahead of it going off warranty. (Now how often does that happen?) 👍 

There are no basic QWERTY phones that are capable of working or even being activated on verizon.  Basic QWERTY phones haven’t been made since 2014

0 Likes
wadeowen307
Contributor - Level 1

I don't think any manufacturers will make 4G LTE basic phones anytime soon, if they do this at all.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@wadeowen307 

There are six 4G LTE basic phones available for sale right now. Granted, none of these are qwerty phones, but they are basic phones and not smartphones phones. If you really want something with a qwerty keyboard, why haven't you given trying a smartphone with a virtual qwerty keyboard a chance?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
wadeowen307
Contributor - Level 1

I agree with you, @Ann154. I do have a smartphone, so I am not concerned about it. I am talking to those people who want a basic phone that is VoLTE-capable.

0 Likes
hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3

That Light Phone looks like a very good option! I like it. 

I bought a Bluetooth keyboard and tried it with my Kyocera DuraXV but it doesn't work. I contacted Kyocera and they 

I also spotted that the Sonim XP5 was now replaced with the XP5s. Manual is here:

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Catalog%20Assets/Devices/Sonim%20XP5/UserGuide/sonim-...

If you scroll down to page 21 , the Bluetooth now supports keyboards! So this would give you a very basic phone that's extremely rugged , and you can keep a separate keyboard in your office/glovebox/backpack if you want to type lengthy messages. 

The headset connector on the Sonim is kind of chunky, but I see on Amazon you can buy USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. I contacted Sonim and they say those are NOT officially supported. I was thinking of going by a store to see if I can actually use one of these phones. They seem mostly geared towards first responders so in some aspects they may be chunky.

0 Likes
hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3

(Bluetooth has supported keyboards for a long time , but on the XP5 bluetooth keyboards were not supported. On the XP5s they are supported)

0 Likes
hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Light Phone responded that they do not support Bluetooth keyboards. Looks like the XP5s is the only one so far. I generally don't really like having separate battery powered pieces that you need to remember to charge, but I do like the idea of a bomb proof phone that has a separate keyboard, since even the old QWERTY flip phones were pretty sensitive to dirt.

The stated battery life is only 1-2 days. I expected with a e-ink display it would do much better. It looks like it has a small battery 950mAh whereas a lot of smart phones have batteries of 3000-4000mAh.

@LG82  have you used the Light Phone and how do you like the keyboard?

0 Likes
LG82
Enthusiast - Level 1

First of all for the sake of reality, the Light Phone is the ultimate tool to remove phone addiction!!!

I LOVE IT

However it is slow, the battery is not great so don't expect it too last for more than a day without charging, many features are not totally up to date like finding contacts quickly and easily etc.

As far as the Keyboard you need patience, as the letters are small.

Feel free to ask more questions

0 Likes