apps for basic phones?
ajaxblu

Hi all- thanks for letting me join in.  Like most of you, I want to upgrade but don't want a data plan.  I've had my current phone for 6 years so am somewhat ignorant of basic phones' capabilities.

Is there a place to buy apps for organizational tools for these basic phones?  I'm referring to one-time downloads for more user-friendly calendar, notes, drawings, voice memos.

I get the impression that these basic phones' included organizational tools aren't fantastic - am I correct or no? 

Also, I already know the cameras on these basic phones are of little use, but what about the music players?  I assume I can't download my songs from iTunes to the phone so how else would I get music on there and would it sound badly enough that I should just get an ipod instead?

Thanks for any advice.

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: apps for basic phones?
bigtitan
Contributor - Level 2

What kind of phone is it?

Feature phones do have a limited amount of "apps" available, and you may find something to suit your needs.  If I remember correctly you can access available downloads though the Media Center > Browse&Download (it may look different on your phone).  Also, depending on the age of the phone, you might not be able to access the downloads  due to some older feature phones being somewhat incompatible with some of the current set up of VZW's network (at least thats how it was explained to me).  This happened to me recently when I activated an old LG EnV while I waited for a new phone. 

Again, depending on your phone you may or may not be able to downlad your music to an SD card and play them through the phone. 

After 6 years it might be worth looking at upgrading, even if just to a newer feature phone.  some of the newer basic phone have some additional organizational functions built in...My old Samsung Reality was a basic phone, but it had a decent calendar and other functions that I fonud useful.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

ajaxblu wrote:

Hi all- thanks for letting me join in.  Like most of you, I want to upgrade but don't want a data plan.  I've had my current phone for 6 years so am somewhat ignorant of basic phones' capabilities.

Is there a place to buy apps for organizational tools for these basic phones?  I'm referring to one-time downloads for more user-friendly calendar, notes, drawings, voice memos.  With basic phones you get what's built in -  no provision to update the calendar, etc.  You need a smartphone, and the capabilities for those functions are better to begin with, and you can enhance them with apps.

I get the impression that these basic phones' included organizational tools aren't fantastic - am I correct or no? It depends on how you intend to use them - they may be adequate or not . . . they aren't on a par with smartphone tools, for sure.

Also, I already know the cameras on these basic phones are of little use, but what about the music players?  I assume I can't download my songs from iTunes to the phone again, that would depend on the specific phone. Some have micro SD card capability that will allow you to store and play songs that you load to the card.  so how else would I get music on there and would it sound badly enough that I should just get an ipod instead?  A device like the iPod will likely render the songs better, since that is it's intended function.  A basic phone is intended for just that - voice and text, or simply voice in some cases. 

Thanks for any advice.

If you are looking for full featured calendars, notes, music player capability, all in one, then you probably won't be happy with the current selection of "basic" phones.  Decide what is "must have" and what is just nice to have, and shop with those criteria in mind.

ajaxblu

Thanks everyone - I'm looking at the LG Octane and the LG Extravert.  The local Verizon guy isholding an Octane for me to look at today.  The most important features are call, text, tools (calendar/notepad, etc).  Music player and camera are just extras that aren't crucial.

With that in mind - where do you find the media center?  Is that something I would find through the phone or through my computer?

Thanks!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

ajaxblu wrote:

Where do you find the media center?  Is that something I would find through the phone or through my computer?

Thanks!

Both - you can access it through the menu on the phone, though it does use data when browsing and downloading.  You can also log in to your account at verizonwireless.com and go to SHOP  >>  Media.  You can browse ringtones, apps, etc, and they will be sent to your phone upon purchase,

0 Likes
ajaxblu

Thank you so much for the replies.  I did browse and found 2 note apps (AKNote and Evernote) but the info says that they're only compatible with the smartphones. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

my son has the octane and i have to say i am very impressed with the music play. his speakers are much louder than my thunderbolt (loud enough to actually listen to it in a room without headphones. i put the cd's that he wanted onto his octane and i remember that it wasn't difficult. i don't recall exactly what i had to do but it was pretty easy (but we already have all of our music on the pc). it's got a pretty good battery and video recording capabilities. i only mention this because i've noticed over the past year that many of the new media/basic phones no longer record video. the camera isn't great, but i believe it's the best you will find on a non smart phone.

0 Likes
ajaxblu

thank you!

0 Likes
Heretic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. I know i'm late to the party. I just want to share my experience. My bank has an app to help it's customers locate no fee atms when their own atms are no where around. I saw on the bank's website that customers have to choose which phone they have, iphone, android, blackberry, and other (mobile web version).

I have the env touch so i had to go with "other (mobile web version)" and while it didn't display the way it would've on those other phones. I was able to retrieve it and use it.

I've tried downloading a few other apps in the past and got a message. The message basically said no can do because the app is for smartphone use only. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
ajaxblu

thanks for the info heretic.

i ended up purchasing the extravert and am researching devices to take care of the rest (ipod/galaxy player/tablets). thanks

0 Likes