question regarding buying phone from Amazonwireless
scofield24

Hi, I have two questions regarding amazonwireless.

I have a nationwide 700 family plan and my phone is eligible for an upgrade now.

Amazonwireless has a good basic phone ( Samsung) that verizon don't have.  If I buy it from Amazon and extend contract for 2 more years, does this work? Will I be moved to new share all plan or keep my old family plan? Or is there a catch?

My other question is the AmazonWireless Instant Discount Policy, if another line on my family plan upgrades to iphone in a few month ( when it's eligible for upgrade) and adds data plan ( we currently don't have any data plan), would this violate Amazon's policy since the contract is changed? I attached their policy below for reference.

I know it's a long read, but thank you for helping!

AmazonWireless Instant Discount Policy

When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you.  This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days.  If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: question regarding buying phone from Amazonwireless
rcschnoor
Legend

Question #1: While Verizon does not require any current subscribers to switch to the Share Everything plan, Amazon may or may not have the ability to keep a line on an unavailable plan when you upgrade. If not, they would have to switch you to the Share Everything plan when you upgrade. You may be able to switch back to your old plan if you want by then calling Verizon after the fact, although I am not sure if this would work. I am also not sure if switching back to your old plan would invoke the Amazon ETF you have highlighted in red. You would have to take your chances.

Question #2: What contract has changed? Each line has its own contract. If you have 5 lines, you could have 5 contracts. Upgrading a line has no effect on the contracts in effect on the other lines. All of the contracts are independent of each other in everything except that only one person is the contract owner for all lines on an account.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Question #1: While Verizon does not require any current subscribers to switch to the Share Everything plan, Amazon may or may not have the ability to keep a line on an unavailable plan when you upgrade. If not, they would have to switch you to the Share Everything plan when you upgrade. You may be able to switch back to your old plan if you want by then calling Verizon after the fact, although I am not sure if this would work. I am also not sure if switching back to your old plan would invoke the Amazon ETF you have highlighted in red. You would have to take your chances.

Question #2: What contract has changed? Each line has its own contract. If you have 5 lines, you could have 5 contracts. Upgrading a line has no effect on the contracts in effect on the other lines. All of the contracts are independent of each other in everything except that only one person is the contract owner for all lines on an account.

0 Likes
jasonia

From the Amazon Wireless FAQ:

I need a new phone, but my line isn't eligible for an upgrade. Another line in my family account is eligible. Can I get a new phone for my line by using the upgrade of the other line in my family account?

While carriers may offer the option to swap upgrades between different lines on the same family account, this option isn't available through AmazonWireless. Phones purchased from AmazonWireless must remain on the line upgraded for 181 days. If you move the device to an alternate line within the first 181 days, you'd be subject toadditional charges by AmazonWireless of up to $250 (per phone), plus applicable taxes.

0 Likes
iluvhim637
Enthusiast - Level 1

additional charges will be $30.00 for the upgrade fee same as if you went to verizon and got a new phone its a one time 30.00 fee and thats it as long as you make sure to check that you don't want to change any of the current plan options hope this is helpful.

0 Likes