"Software Update Notification" every night on my samsung convoy 2
rodgerseaquist

I keep getting a "Software Update Notification" every night on my convoy 2. This is a basic phone and I've updated its software via *228

But still I get this notification. If I select "OK" it will churn for a minute saying "connecting" but it must not be updating because the next night I'll get a

"Software Update Notification"  This leaves the screens lit and runs down my battery. Is this a Verizon Update? I have no apps or data plan.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "Software Update Notification" every night on my samsung convoy 2
SR0211
Enthusiast - Level 3

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/968842#968842

Thread above may help.  It did for me.  Seems if we have Data Block checked the download will not happen.  Must go and un-check data block, and make sure you activate the new settings first, than go back into Phone Info and download the new update.  Good luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jondal
Contributor - Level 1

Depending on when you got the phone if you got the phone will old software then yes it may keep popping up that updates are available if you have no apps Italy be the operation system ( OS) but if it's the se update over n over you may want to contact Vzw

Hope this helps

0 Likes
SR0211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Convoy 2 here as well......

I got the update announcement, than after clicking OK, I get this "Connecting" icon and a spinning arrow counter clock wise and it never ends.  My battery have drained down to 1 bar from 4 bars and still the "Connecting" message continues, so I stop this so I can again use the phone. Twice this has happen and I already updated using the *228

0 Likes
SR0211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a link to the update section listing a few phones, but our Convoy 2 is not listed for any updates...

https://support.verizonwireless.com/information/software_updates.html

0 Likes
SR0211
Enthusiast - Level 3

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/968842#968842

Thread above may help.  It did for me.  Seems if we have Data Block checked the download will not happen.  Must go and un-check data block, and make sure you activate the new settings first, than go back into Phone Info and download the new update.  Good luck

0 Likes
duchesss

I don't have data or text or web or anything but basic phone calling on my plan, and I verified with Verizon Customer Service that none of the updates apply to me or my service.  I don't want to turn on features I don't use or spend time on updates that are irrelevant.  I am tired of this running down my battery.  How can I make this stop, and please don't tell me to do it all anyway to appease Verizon.  You have the technology to make it stop, because I don't pay for those "upgraded" features to begin with, so you're already blocking them!  My next best alternative seems to be to keep my phone off unless I need it and downgrade my service to a lower limit plan.

0 Likes
painter200

I've a convoy 2 for six month. The phone works in places my old did not. Great battery life, I could a week between charges and still have 3 bars....about a week ago I got a software update notification, I hit the OK button,,,the next morning my phone was as dead as fried chicken.   I put the phone on the charger, while on the charger I got another software update notification. I hit OK,,,,Next day, dead phone. My phone has died every night for the last few nights....Last night I got a software update notification,,,,I DID NOT HIT OK, I hit the end button and turned the phone off....This morning the phone has full power...

It seems to me the phone is trying to upload an update constantly all night long and this kills the battery.

I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear rodgerseaquist,

Good morning. I understand the importance of ensuring your phone has the correct softwares version. I am sorry to learn of the difficulites you are experiencing with downloading the softwares. It would be my pleasure to further assist you.

The Samsung Convoy 2 has a new software update that became available at the end of May. This is what your phone is trying to download. When a new software is available, it will try to download on it's own. Do you currently have a Data Block or Download Block on your account? This may be the reason why it will not download successfully. Please remove any data or download blocks you may have on your account. After removing the block, retry to download the software. If you are still experiencing difficulites with trying to download the software, please feel free to reach out to us for further assistance. Have a great day!

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
painter200

When this first started happening I had no blocks on my service, I have just recently blocked as many things as I could hoping to resolve the problem.   Luckily , at this time of year my phone use is not critical. I will pay attention to the boards and try to set up my phone in a way that works. Is this happening to all Convoy2s, Perhaps I have an older model or a lemon of some sort.

Thanks 

0 Likes
marcjy

i had the same problem.  called Verizon, they removed my text block (i don't text), then i went thru the steps to update the Verizon software which were successful.  he then restored the text block, now so far everything works.  we'll see tomorrow if everything took.

0 Likes