samsung gusto 2 keeps rebooting until new battery is discharged
chrisret1

My Samsung Gusto 2 keeps rebooting until the Battery is discharged.  Replaced battery at suggestion of Verizon rep, but same problem.  Is the phone defective or improperly set up?.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: samsung gusto 2 keeps rebooting until new battery is discharged
machias_me

I know this is not going to help you, but in my case, I removed the battery for about an hour and put it back in.  So far ... that's working.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  For what it's worth ... when I removed the battery, it did NOT delete the list of calls that I had received, my text messages, or my contacts.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

This phone at the very least is 4 years old.

0 Likes
machias_me

Since performing this task the first time, my phone started the rebooting process one more time after a couple of days.  So far, my phone has not started the rebooting process again since I performed the steps a second time (remove the battery, let it set for about 30 minutes, put the battery back in).  The rebooting problem is related to Backup Assistant.  I know this because the date/time of the last update of the software changes to the date/time of the last reboot.  To confirm this yourself, go to MENU > SETTINGS > PHONE INFO > SOFTWARE UPDATE > STATUS.  I wish there were a process to delete Backup Assistant.

0 Likes
machias_me

My phone is at least a couple of years old.  The problem with my phone started when I couldn't download MMS text messages.  As it turned out, my phone was unable to connect to the internet.  When I attempted to connect to the internet (MENU > MOBILE WEB), I was getting the error ... "DNS:  Invalid host is specified".  I chatted with a Verizon Wireless representative.  I was told to dial *228, then press "1" to reprogram the phone.  That process solved my problem with receiving MMS text messages, but then the rebooting thing happened within several hours of resolving the original problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I regret to see this is still happening even though you have had the battery replaced. Are you  using the  charger that came with the phone? If so, have you master reset the phone by following the steps listed here http://spr.ly/6589BvGk1.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
machias_me

My Samsung Gusto 2 is still rebooting itself from time to time.  I prefer not to do a "master reset" as I may lose data.  In the meantime, it happens infrequently enough (every few days to once a week) that I'll live with it.  It would be nice to have the option of deleting Backup Assistant or to have the option of turning off the process of it updating the Backup Assistant software, but I realize "it is what it is".  I'm posting here in the event others are having the same problem and my experience may help them.  Thank you for your input.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Well it's an old flip phone. What possible kind of data could you have that's not replaceable? You have back up assist, and there should be a way to back up the pictures.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That’s truly a frustrating experience to have your device reboot itself as you described, Machians_me. Let’s keep working on your Gusto 2. Just to clarify, are you using the same charger that originally came with the phone? Does your device have any moisture or physical damage? Share some needed details so I can assist you further.

EdwinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
stephen_r_ferg

After I did a SETTINGS>PHONE INFO> SOFTWARE UPDATE>CHECK NEW on my Gusto 2 flip phone, the phone would keep rebooting every 10 seconds or so.  [One hypothesis is that the phone checks for updates and gets some kind of response that drives it crazy.]

There is a Youtube video that fixes a similar problem on Samsung smartphones, so I tried something similar on my Gusto 2.  I turned off the phone, then powered it up again by HOLIDING THE POWER-UP BUTTON ("End") PRESSED DOWN for about 15 seconds, until the phone had completely powered up.   That fixed the problem.  It worked for me.  Maybe it will work for you.

0 Likes