Additional Outlet Charge Question
ract
Contributor - Level 1

I recently left Comcast and decided to try FIOS triple play.  Because I mistakenly succumbed to a door to door salesman to order the FIOS and couldn't interpret what little paperwork he provided, I was some what fuzzy on the details of the cost; however, since I had researched much of the available info online, I felt I could handle the situation.  The most important failing was that I had no idea what the monthly price would be.  He gave me an overall price for the package and extras verbally but it could not be confirmed by anyone at Verizon.  In any case, I am now able to view the first bill online and, for the most part, it is as I assumed it would be.

The one major exception being that I am being charged a one time fee of $79.98 for 4 additional outlets.  My online info concerning the order listed 3 free outlets and 4 additional outlets but no cost info for anything.  During the order process no mention was made of any charge for the additional outlets.  The equipment received consisted of one wireless router (free, an "N", I might add), one HD STB ($9.99), one SD STB (free), one DTA ($3.99), and four cable cards ($15.96).  These monthly rental costs are as advertised.  Since I was a Comcast customer, no actual outlets were added for any equipment.  The installation process consisted of (1) moving the incoming internet and TV lines from Comcast to the ONT; (2) setting up the router, (3) adding the STBs and DTA and programming the associated remotes, (4) installing the cable cards, and (5) activating the equipment via my computer.  If you consider the STBs, DTA and cable cards the outlets, I am not sure which I would consider the free and which I would consider the additional.  However, I suspect that the charge was for installing the cable cards.  The installer said that Verizon did not allow customers to install and activate cable cards; this is contrary to the info on the Verizon web pages and federal regulations.

Does my assumption for the purpose of the additional outlet charge seem reasonable and in line with Verizon pricing policy?  Information about this sketchy on the web.

At least this is one time charge, the cable card issue with Comcast is a mess. The pricing guide is so convoluted that it is impossible for either the customers or the CSRs to consistently determine what the monthly charge should be for equipment and services (the term services does not include the monthly cost of the TV or internet packages).  Most of the confusion revolves around the "monthly equipment rental" price list and the "monthly digital services" price list..  The equipment rental guide says the first cable card in a device is free.  Device is not defined.  Each of my cable cards is in a separate device.  Several years ago, I got one cable card for my TV; it was free and remained so until last year.  I got a TiVo and needed another cable card; this resulted in a monthly additional outlet fee of $9.25 (from the monthly digital services list) for each; the same price Comcast charges for a STB.  I complained to the corporate office and got the charge reduced to zero for both.  Comcast is now going fully digital, resulting in the need for two additional cable cards; and I would need to fight that battle all over again.  I figured the odds of coming out with a reasonable solution would be highly unlikely; so, I decided to give FIOS a try.  I really don't expect the cable cards to be free but to charge the same for a cable card and STB is absurd.  The Comcast pricing guide mess contrasts sharply from the very simple Verizon pricing system which charges a monthly rental of $9.99 for each HD STB and $3.99 for each cable card.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Additional Outlet Charge Question
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the confusion in charges. I have sent you a private message so we can get more information on the account.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Additional Outlet Charge Question
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the confusion in charges. I have sent you a private message so we can get more information on the account.

0 Likes