Bait and Switch with Verizon Customer Service
inverness

Last December, I was evaluating my cable tv service, and was looking at both FIOS and competitors to determine whether I should change my service.  On December 16, I received an on-line quote from FIOS, through your website, showing the service I wanted at a monthly charge of $176.34.  I accepted this on-line offer.  At the same time, I called your customer service number to confirm this service, and to confirm how long this price was guaranteed for.  Your customer service rep confirmed that this $176.34 price was good for the next 12 months (though the overall cost of service, such as set-top box fees could increase as they applied to all users).  I specifically asked about the two discounts that were part of this plan and was again assured that they would run for 12 months from then.  I assume that you record your customer service calls and are able to confirm this conversation.

As my FIOS bills arrived in January and February, I could see that the price you quoted me was not honored.  On or about March 3, I placed another call to your customer service line to inquire why my bills were higher than promised.  It took a while for your rep to untangle the situation, but she eventually told me that the price I had been quoted was mistaken.   After a discussion and consultation with her supervisors, she agreed that Verizon would honor your price quote, and told me that the price would be adjusted going forward, and that I would be credited with the three months of service that had been overcharged.  However, no adjustment was forthcoming. 

I called again after my next bill arrived and was told “it takes several months for credits to be applied,”  and that I needed to be patient. 

I called yet again in early June, and had to repeat the entire episode to a new rep.  After this call, I was told that Verizon would not honor the pricing I was quoted.  I was informed that the $19.99 “HBO credit” that was shown on my order form “was something that had expired in December, and was not renewable.”  This is an untrue statement.  I had previously received a $16.99 “HBO Credit” that ended in December – not a $19.99 one.  And when I had questioned your rep in December,  I was assured that this was a new credit, good for another 12 months.  Now, In June, I was told that the quoted price was not valid and would not be honored.  When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told that no one was available at that time, but that I was guaranteed a call-back within 24 hours.  No one ever called me back. 

Your customer service has been terrible.  Based on your current position, the rep I spoke with in December was either misinformed or outright lied in order to retain my business – do the reps get paid based on keeping customers?  The rep I spoke with in March assured me that this problem would be addressed and that my account would be credited with the quoted price.  Again, a lie.  And most recently, I was promised a call back from someone with authority to deal with my complaint.  Again, no call. 

I expect your company to honor a price that was offered to me, both on-line and confirmed with a representative.  Promising a price and then refusing to honor it six months later – after further promising again to honor the price, is a classic case of bait and switch and consumer fraud.  The fact that you now claim that you “made a mistake” does not make it MY problem.   You need to uphold your quoted pricing, and I expect that you will do so now. 

0 Likes
Re: Bait and Switch with Verizon Customer Service
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi inverness,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Re: Bait and Switch with Verizon Customer Service
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Apologies that we were unable to reach the end result you were hoping for. Please let us know if you have any other questions for us on this public board.

Best,

Art

0 Likes