How to remove erroneous collection account from credit report?

Has anyone had any luck getting Verizon to remove erroneous collection account info from your credit report?

There's a collection account note on my credit report for a time period when I wasn't even living in Verizon territory (I was in San Francisco, where my phone company at the time was SBC).  I disputed the report and my residency at that address in Boston with credit agency, and they denied the dispute, because they said my residency at that address in Boston was verified by a utilities company.  Wanna guess which utilities company that was?  Yep, Verizon.

So apparently Verizon's claim cannot be disputed with the credit agencies, because Verizon reports to the agencies are self-verifying.  The only way for me to get this off my credit report is for Verizon to remove it, and I can't find any way to get that done.

If anyone here has had any luck getting something like this taken care of, please let me know who you worked with to get it accomplished.  This ding on my credit report for what apparently was a $100 bill is about to cost me tens of thousands of dollars in additional mortgage interest.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
Re: How to remove erroneous collection account from credit report?
Champion - Level 1

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.