Switching My Service to Cox
LukeVA
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm fed up with Verizon service and am in the process of switching from FIOS to Cox. For a similar package that I'm getting charged $200 from Verizon, I can get it from Cox for $137.25 which includes 310 channels with home HD DVR and extra receiver, Internet and phone. The phone doesn't include long distance service but I was using my cell phone for that anyway, so no loss there.

Is there anything anyone can caution me about the switch? 

Meanwhile, I've found it very difficult to cancel my Verizon service since I have to call during the week, when it's convenient for the cancelation office to be open to argue with me.

A few years ago, I switched our office from Verizon to Cox for phone and Internet service and that's worked out well too. I guess Verizon finally forced me to do it at home as well. What a pain.

Re: Switching My Service to Cox
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't  you just love "gotcha capitalism?"  Verizon is a master of it.

Before you completely decided to switch, do talk to the cancellation department.  They might offer you a deal to keep you.  Or, they might not.

You should check with your neighbors who have Cox services to see how it works for them.  Check reviews for your area on dslreports or similar web sites.  Some things to think about:

o) Power: Most cable services have powered equipment between the "central office" and your home.  In the case of a power outage, batteries kick in.  During extended power outages, batteries may drain and service will be cut off.  FiOS has no powered equipment in the field.  If you live in an area prone to long power outages, this may be important to you.  Of course, you'll need a UPS or generator in your home with either service.  With FiOS, you may have a better chance that service will stay up during long outages.

o) Speed: FiOS often has faster internet speeds than cable.  While some will point out that cable shares it's bandwidth, FiOS does too.  It's just that the sharing is done in a different way and is done from a much larger bandwidth pipe.  Don't forget that a fast internet service is often only as good as the link at the other end.  I often visit web sites that can't fill up my FiOS link.  If absolute speed is a key feature for you, be sure to check out how Cox performs for your favorite uses.  If you can try out a neighbor's service at various times of day on your favorite sites, that will tell you more than any forum post can.  It is likely you'll not even notice a difference, especially if speed isn't that important to you.

o) TV/DVR: If you're a heavy user of TV and DVR service, be sure to check out the guide and DVR functions on a Cox set-top box.   You'll be living with the guide and DVR for some time.  Make sure you don't find it annoying to use to find programs, record series, and manage media.

Good Luck!

josepicaralho
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think cox is better, customer service blows verizon away, I cant wtch much on their crummy verizon site, and the internet is faster at cox. it took 2 minutes just to load this post. crap. I am gonna go back even if i get whacked for 190 to disconnect early. customer service and internet site as well as speed blow on verizon

josepicaralho
Enthusiast - Level 2

good luck reaching them and talking to someone who knows anything. 

0 Likes
josepicaralho
Enthusiast - Level 2

Cox had a faster internet, easier to call and add a channel, customer service trumps, and the bundles are similar. I may be going back to cox soon.

Walid1

I am planning to switch to cox as well. I am fed up with Verizon fios. My internet and my phone line have been on and off since May 219 due to a central outage and I spend long hours on the phone for someone to respond to me.  List hours of work.  Unacceptable. Bad service. And no empathy to long term clients.  

0 Likes
MrMatthew1
Contributor - Level 1

Hi Walid

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes