Verizon Fios unjustly put my account into collections and will do nothing to compensate!
Kristenleigh83
Enthusiast - Level 1

Beware FIOS customers who wish to discontinue services: Verizon will make the process as difficult as possible including sending your account to collections for absolutely no reason! 

Here's the rundown:

I closed my account, I paid my outstanding balance and I returned by equipment as soon as the return box arrived on my doorstep.  Easy and done, right?  Wrong!  Here's what happened next:

First I got an email for a bill for $583.  "GASP", I thought, "what can this be?"  After a phone call, I discovered that I had been charged for my equipment, the same stuff I'd long since returned.  The nice gentleman on the phone told me this "happens all the time" but not to worry because he saw that my box had just been logged back as safely returned and that he would credit my account and everything was fine.  Hooray, now I'm done, right?  Wrong!  Three weeks later:

I receive two letters in the mail.  The first is a glossy brochure from Fios, asking for me to return.  This was ironic, considering that the second letter was from a collections agency, stating that I owed Verizon $33.    How can this be?!"  I knew I'd paid my final bill on time.  After yet another phone call, I discovered that when my box return was processed, nobody credited me back for the $33 of tax that had been erroneously charged.  And instead of sending me another one of those lovely email bills, Verizon did what any upstanding company does, they sent it to collections! 

So glad I gave Verizon Fios a try so that I could have my credit damaged for a charge that I was never supposed to pay in the first place.  Now I'm told they can do nothing to prevent this incident from showing up on my credit report but they will surely assist me should I need to correct the damage done!  Nobody, and I repeat nobody, of the 6 associates and supervisors that I've spoken to has done anything to compensate me for this debacle, unless you count a $20 credit to my wireless bill which comes nowhere close to the hours I've invested thus far.  The latest supervisor, {edited for privacy}, declared that she could do nothing for me since Verizon didn't "really drop the ball" and equipment returns take time. 

Well, folks, just be sure you're not too attached to your credit score the next time you need to close a Verizon account (one that has always been in good standing I might add).  You just might find yourself with a second job monitoring your credit for a mistake you did not make.   In the meantime...I'm still waiting for a little compensation.  For a company that gives out $300 Visa gift cards like water to new customers, you'd think they could do a little something for a customer who was seriously wronged by their inefficient system.

Re: Verizon Fios unjustly put my account into collections and will do nothing to compensate!
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Kristenleigh83

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases".
There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fios unjustly put my account into collections and will do nothing to compensate!
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Kristen,

We have not heard from you any further on this issue and at this time have closed your private case. If you need any more support please feel free to reach out to us anytime.

-Sara

0 Likes