Re: Will my electricity bill go up using Verizon Fios?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The dehumidifier is the real culprit here I suspect.   It's basically the same as a "window air conditioner" which is turned on 24/7 (same principle, different purpose).    We have one in our basement which runs pretty much 24/7 throughout the warmer months and it makes the electric meter spin wildly.   Go turn it off for a bit and watch what happens to the meter.

edilgen

I beg to differ wih the writer who said electric consumption will not go up much.  My National Grid budget was just increased by almost $100 per month.  Kilowatt use history shows close to 100% increase July '13 to July ''14.  We began Fios serivce around October '13 with 2 set top boxes and switched one to DVR in April '14.  There is no other change in our usage.   I am thinking about giving up the DVR and switching to another company when our contract with Verizon ends.  Providers were supposed to be working on ways to cut energy consumption.  I see no progress and hope improvements will be mandated by FCC or whatever agency is responsible. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@edilgen wrote:

I beg to differ wih the writer who said electric consumption will not go up much.  My National Grid budget was just increased by almost $100 per month.  Kilowatt use history shows close to 100% increase July '13 to July ''14.  We began Fios serivce around October '13 with 2 set top boxes and switched one to DVR in April '14.  There is no other change in our usage.   I am thinking about giving up the DVR and switching to another company when our contract with Verizon ends.  Providers were supposed to be working on ways to cut energy consumption.  I see no progress and hope improvements will be mandated by FCC or whatever agency is responsible. 

Go up.  Yes of course it will.  Up that much, not likely.  Maybe 20-30w per device (DVR/stb/router/ont).  Note if you don't have the battery connected between your BBU/ONT you can save a few bucks.  Say you Have 3 dvr/stb, maybe 100W.  72 KWH.  At 20¢ a kwh $14.40.  $21 on the high side of power for older boxes, and this assuming the relatively high rate of 20¢/kwh.

0 Likes