8530 Overheated
ldmooney2006

This is my first and only Blackberry. I've owned the phone for just over year and never had a problem with it the entire time I've owned. Then all of a sudden today on my way to school while riding on the bus, my phone started to get really warm while I was playing solitaire. Then it got really hot. So I turned it off and removed the battery (insert the part where I say that the phone was fully charged before the incident happened). I inserted the battery and turned the phone back on and saw the battery level was in the yellow. I sent a quick text off and then turned the phone back off. When I arrived to campus, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and attempted to turn it back on but the phone wouldn't turn on. I removed the battery again, reinserted and attempted to turn it on again. No good, screen was still black, no magic hourglass appeared. So I go on my merry way home and put my phone on the charger but it's not charging. And again, genius step, I went to a Verizon store. The representative there took my phone because she thought it was the battery, switched batteries--not the battery. And it wouldn't charge on her charger there. So she told me to contact the Assurion insurance company. And I did, but they told me that because I "took such good care of my phone" my deductible is $99 to pay for a new phone to get shipped out to me. I refused. But he told me that was my only option because I was out of warranty.

I understand the necessity of having a 1 year manufacturer warranty to cover anything defects in equipment that manifest within the that pivotal first year. But what about people like me who took really good care of their phone during that first year? Are we doomed to having the insurance companies roast our rumps because we dabble in being responsible adults? What options do I have other than forking out more money to potentially go with the early upgrade and fees for the two year contract deal? No one has even bothered to inform me of what my rights are as a customer when it comes to defects that occur outside of the warranty and why I'm required to pay for it. I'm willing to dish out some money but not everything I own because of the technicality that is owned by the insurance company.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 8530 Overheated
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello there idmooney2006! Wow, it sounds like you had quite the experience trying to resolve your device issue! Yes, it is true that the standard duration of a manufacturer's warranty is 12 months from the date of activation. Phone owners that are interested in extending that coverage also have the option of adding a Warranty Extension feature to the line for just $1.99 per month, or select Total Equipment Coverage insurance through Asurion. I hope these options are something you will consider the next time you activate a new phone on your VZW line of service! In the meantime, if you still need help, please let me know. Thanks!

DionM

Follow Us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: 8530 Overheated
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello there idmooney2006! Wow, it sounds like you had quite the experience trying to resolve your device issue! Yes, it is true that the standard duration of a manufacturer's warranty is 12 months from the date of activation. Phone owners that are interested in extending that coverage also have the option of adding a Warranty Extension feature to the line for just $1.99 per month, or select Total Equipment Coverage insurance through Asurion. I hope these options are something you will consider the next time you activate a new phone on your VZW line of service! In the meantime, if you still need help, please let me know. Thanks!

DionM

Follow Us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes