Hello! I'm new to the BlackBerry community and just got my first BlackBerry. I want to use it to get personal and work email. My IT dept at work set me up on the BES and I created an account. I'm receiving work email in my Messages folder. I also set up a personal hotmail email. I'm also getting those emails in my Messages folder.
When I set up the personal email, a separate icon was placed on my screen. When I send email from the icon with my personal email, it comes from my hotmail account. When I send email from my desktop in the Messages folder, it comes from my work email address (even if I'm selecting "reply" from an email sent to my personal email account).
I just want to make sure I understand how this is all working. I don't want my personal email to go through my work servers.
I have a few questions:
1) Should I be getting email from all accounts in my Messages folder?
2) Are my personal emails going through the BES to my device?
3) Is there a way to switch and make my personal email my default desktop and my work email secondary?
4) Is there a way to make sure that when I access the internet that it's not through my work BES, but instead the BIS?
Thanks for any help/info you can provide!
Welcome to the forums. Whew, let me take a stab at trying to give you some answers. First, though, let me direct you to this website http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-2-bes-and-bis-whats-difference at Crackberry.com. It will give you some basic understanding between BES and BIS. Now to answer your questions.
I have a few questions:
1) Should I be getting email from all accounts in my Messages folder? Yes, you should. Think of the messages folder as a main folder where all types of text, MMS, email, etc messages will be gathered for your convenience.
2) Are my personal emails going through the BES to my device? If it was configured so by your IT department, then yes, it is getting routed through the BES.
3) Is there a way to switch and make my personal email my default desktop and my work email secondary? On your Blackberry, when you compose an email message, at the top, you can select which email account you want to use to send that particular email. You can not set up your Blackberry.net email account on a desktop. It is not designed for use in applications such as Outlook.
4) Is there a way to make sure that when I access the internet that it's not through my work BES, but instead the BIS? No, if you are on the BES, then everything you do is through the BES. However, I noticed you have the Curve 8530 which has WiFi, so you could surf via WiFi if you do not want to use the BES to surf.
I hope this helps a little. I'm sure you may still have questions. I recommend looking at Crackberry's Blackberry 101 series which explains a lot of things about the Blackberry in easy to understand terms. Good luck.
Good answers from Doc
But I'd like to clarify question 3. There is actually a way to set your persona email account as the default for replies and new messages. You'll click on your Options icon then Advanced Options > Default Services. Choose your personal email for messaging services and save. Now when you reply to emails from your device it'll automatically default to sending it from your personal email.