Re: BlackBerry Curve 8330 Not Charging through wall or car charger -usb/pc will charge though.
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Geocritter, I'm with you on the OS thing.  I'll bet that will clear things up.

Doc

0 Likes
Re: BlackBerry Curve 8330 Not Charging through wall or car charger -usb/pc will charge though.
Geocritter

I just did some looking around...evidently, this is a problem that's been discussed at blackberry.com and other forums...along our same lines of thinking.

One thread about a bent pin was

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Pearl-BlackBerry-8100/Lost-my-USB-connection-on-an...

And in another thread, one poster seemed to have figured out that there may well be TWO +dc inputs, one for one type of charger and one for another.

If that's correct, then it certainly MIGHT be the case that he's got a bent pin.  They said you can straighten it with a small pin or needle.

And if so, then I humbly stand corrected and e-du-macated!  🙂   I never consider learning from being wrong to be a bad thing...I just do the best I can to help and think things out.

OH, by all means, if you find and fix a bent pin and everything is working just hunky dory, please let us know.  AND, yes, you still should update!  It cleaned up a lot of bugs!

0 Likes
ambersun

Copper, this was my impression too of the charging cradle....that i still had to use my charger and the cradle was just so that it could sit upright....but I was gonna look into it to see if there was another kind availalble since they mentioned it...i've had one with an older phone...much older back in the 90's where the cradle had a charging port built into it and you just plug the cradle into the wall outlet.....i will keep everyone posted on what happens, thanks!

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

I learned the hardway on this issue.  I had a BB user with the same issue on not being to detect the BB from their desktop so I tried my Curve and it worked fine.  Later that day, I tried to charge my phone and low and behold, I now had charging issues and found the bent pins.  I did try to bend the pins with a push pin but I could not bend them enough in my case to to be in their orginial position. 

Lesson learned here is if it appears the USB port is damaged, do not try the suspect cable on another phone as that may now become damaged :smileyhappy: 

Also I always suggest applying any updates once they have been out for at least a week ( I don't like to be the guinea pig on any new software).

0 Likes
ambersun

LOL, well, I didn't get a chance to update the software last night, however, before I left work yesterday, although reluctant, I noticed one  of the pins wasn't in line with the others in the charging port on my device.  So, I took a stick pin and gently pushed down on the pin to straighten it out.....and that did it! 

I immediately plugged it into the wall charger and viola- it worked!  Got in my car after work to use the car charger-everything A OK!  My daughter did use my phone to tether on the pc last night and everything went well.  I plugged it up again this morning and everything worked fine.  I am going to take a look at the usb cable connection pins and see how they look - that cable may be the culprit.  I'll back up my data and update the software tonight too and let you know how that goes.....so for now....looks like straightening out the pin (if needed) is what did the trick! 

Thanks for all of the advice...I'll report back tomorrow and close this up, I just want to watch and see if everything keeps holding if you know what I mean!

Also, Verizon is sending me a replacement wall charger and I can get a replacement car charger at the store b/c they didn't have them in stock where he was shipping them from.  I think I will keep the wall charger they send me after comparing it to the one I have now b/c the connection pins look warn out and I only had it since November 2009-idk...I don't think I need a new car charger.....anyways wish me luck! 

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I just love happy endings.  Glad you got it working. 

Doc

0 Likes
Geocritter

OUTSTANDING!  Glad you got 'er fixed!! 

I guess I'll chalk one up to the 'ol learning "Curve", eh?  [I know, I know...BOOOOO.  It's okay.  My puns usually suck]

Seriously, though, I'd have never guessed that it was such an issue. I wonder what in blue tarnation would get the pins bent up inside the thing like that? Just out of curiosity, check your old chargers and see if you see anything fishy, like maybe a stuck piece of debris, worn out piece of metal, something.  It would be great to be able to know what to watch for in our "repertoire" of things that can go wrong.

-dan

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

The issue we ran into was that the cable of issue was routinely put into a bag that also contained pens, pencils, screwdrivers, papercips, etc and my belief is that one of these objects got jammed into the port and damaged starting the chain reaction.

0 Likes