BlackBerry Curve erases certain Windows folders - why?
JpollockRN

When I plug my Curve into my PC to synch, the BB then removes system folders from the computer and I cannnot get them back, then I have to restore system everytime. Application Data \ Cookies\ Local Settings - these are the main ones that no longer exist after I plug in the Blackberry

Any insight would be appreciated

Jim

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: BlackBerry Curve erases certain Windows folders - why?
BBgirl09
Contributor - Level 1

Have you tried connecting with mass media mode turned off?  I don't know why that would affect it, but might be worth a try.

Do you have Roxio Media Manager installed with Desktop Manager?  If so, maybe try uninstalling DM and installing an older version, like 4.6 without Media Manager.

Is there any other Roxio software on the PC?

Media Manager and other Roxio software do not play well together so I've heard.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BBgirl09
Contributor - Level 1

That is odd, I have not heard of that before.  The Application Data folder is normally hidden, not visible, by default.

Do you have the PC set to show hidden files and folders?  Go to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab, and see if Hidden Files and Folders is ticked to show or not show them.  If you have it checked to show, you should see the Application Data folders but they are lighter than other folders. 

0 Likes
JpollockRN

Thanks for the response. Yes to all of those, I always have those showing, now they are not. when I go to Tools \ Folder Options \ View. I keep checking that tab that says show OS files and hidden files and then I click ok, it goes back and defaults to the do not show. I am in the Admini group, so there should not be any issues. It seems that this occurred right after I installed 4.7 desktop software

Now I cannot get it to reverse.

0 Likes
BBgirl09
Contributor - Level 1

Does your BlackBerry have a media card, and if so, do you have mass media mode enabled when you connect? 

Is this a work/company PC?  If so they could have some group policies in place causing this. 

0 Likes
JpollockRN

Yes I do have a media card and it is enabled. It is not a company computer. It is mine (small one person business) with the e-mail coming from my own ISP so no policies have been turned on

0 Likes
BBgirl09
Contributor - Level 1

Have you tried connecting with mass media mode turned off?  I don't know why that would affect it, but might be worth a try.

Do you have Roxio Media Manager installed with Desktop Manager?  If so, maybe try uninstalling DM and installing an older version, like 4.6 without Media Manager.

Is there any other Roxio software on the PC?

Media Manager and other Roxio software do not play well together so I've heard.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3
Un install Desktop Manager and reinstall and watch where it is installing the program.
0 Likes
JpollockRN

OK, it looks like the problem is solved

I uninstalled the whole program, deleted all registry settings that had anything to do with the Blackberry

Reinstalled a ghost image of my machine prior to the corruption

Turned off Media Card and did not install Media Service

Crossed my fingers and then reinstalled Desktop version 4.5

Synchronized the Blackberry to the Outlook

Everyhting is work.... so far

Many thanks to the advice givers

Cheers

Jim

0 Likes
BBgirl09
Contributor - Level 1
That's good news!  Glad you got it sorted out. 
0 Likes