Blackberry Curve 8330 Hangs During Backup of RMS Databases
kjc7
My spouse and I both just purchased the Curve 8330 (OS 4.5.0.77). When backing up to Desktop Manager Version 4.5 (on a system running Vista), the backup hangs at RMS Databases on both our devices, and we are unable to perform a complete backup (we are able to work around it by doing an Advanced backup, which enables us to bypass the RMS Databases). I upgraded the Desktop Manager to Version 4.7 to see if that would resolve the issue, but the problem still remains. I noticed that Verizon also has an update to the OS (4.5.0.101), but I really don't want to go through the hassle of updating my OS at the moment, especially if that isn't going to solve the problem, and I don't think it will, because I've Googled the issue, and others have definitely run into the same problem using a newer OS version than Verizon currently offers. Is anyone aware of this issue and a fix for it? Although I'm able to verify that others are experiencing the same problem, I can't seem to find a solution. Extremely annoying, to say the least.
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Curve 8330 Hangs During Backup of RMS Databases
Barfaroo
I had the same problem. Fortunately, I had a backup that was about two months old.  However, I didn't want to overwrite any of my new entries in Contacts or Calendar, so I opened DM, went to backup and restore, and checked Advanced. There is an option to open a file, so I opened my old backup.  It lists all the entries that were backed up previously.  I selected RMS Databases and hit Restore.  I was able to restore just the corrupt RMS database without overwriting anything else.  I discovered that the only information I lost was some of the settings in Opera Mini and Garmin Mobile.  It was easy to re-enter them. 
0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

Go to vzam.net/blackberry and install Version 5.0 of Desktop Manager ( but be sure to uninstall your current DM first). This may take care of your problem.

Good luck!

0 Likes
kjc7
Thanks for the responses! I actually forgot that I had left this post. Otherwise, I would have come back to update it. At any rate, the problem with the hang-up when backing up the RMS Database was due to a conflict with MSDict software that had been installed on both devices. Once the software was uninstalled, I was able to backup both devices without any problems. Just to be sure it was the MSDict software, I reinstalled it on both devices, and, sure enough, the backup hung at RMS Database again. So, problem solved, and, fortunately, I was able to get our money back for the MSDict software.
0 Likes