Blackberry Curve 8330 shorting out
Nick_C

Hi

I have a curve 8330 that the keyboard keeps shorting out.  verizon has replaced it at least 4 times in the last 3 months if not more.  basically my problem is that the keyboard shorts out and none of the buttons including the power button work.  the last tech i talked to  said its very common in that model blackberry.  so my question is has anyone else with a curve 8330 experienced it and what have you done to fix it?  im getting tired of going to verizon every month to get a new phone!

0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Curve 8330 shorting out
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your Curve(s).  I have not heard of a keyboard "shorting out,"  however, I guess anything can happen.  I do, however, find it very unusual for the same exact problem to occur on 4 different devices, not to say that it could or did not occur.  Did they ever consider it might be a software problem and wipe the device and reload the software?  If this happens again, try wiping the device and see if that might fix the problem.  Keep us updated here in the forums.

Doc

0 Likes
Nick_C

Since I posted i've looked at other websites and forums and it seems that i'm not the only one with this problem and its on all cariers too, not just verizon. Supposedly the 8300's have a problem with moisture   

as far as software, you really cant reset the phone without the use of the buttons

I've also had 3 different techs at 3 different verizon stores say to me something along the lines of "we see this alot with the 8300's" so Verizon and RIM are well aware of the problem but refuse to do anything to actually try and fix my problem, like offer me a different type of phone. instead they just give me the same piece of garbage that will just short out again in a few weeks. 

Great Customer Service Verizon!!!! Thanks!!!!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Nick_C wrote:

Since I posted i've looked at other websites and forums and it seems that i'm not the only one with this problem and its on all cariers too, not just verizon. Supposedly the 8300's have a problem with moisture   

Hi, Nick,

I obviously don't know what type of environment you use your Blackberry around, but if it is an environment that is prone to high humidity or moisture, you should consider not having your device around that environment.  All cell phones are susceptible to water or moisture damage, not just the 8330.  I am sorry you have had so much of a headache with your device. 

Doc

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Hmm, strange. I used the 8330 for two years and never had this problem. What software version are you running on your 8330s?

All I can think of -- besides loading an OS version that's not made for the 8330 -- is, as mentioned earlier, that it's being used in a humid environment. Smartphones are so touchy ... I used my Curve on Virginia Beach on a hot August afternoon and it was fine. But I brought it in the bathroom ONE time to listen to music while taking a bubble bath and the music player freaked out on me.

Regardless, I hope you get it resolved soon. Good luck!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

DOC asked for ideas, so I came here to offer my experience. The issue may be the magnetic strip underneath the keypad. I had an Alltel TouchPro and the keyboard would either duplicate a key I touched or nothing would  happened.

Back then, prior to my warranty replacement, I was told to hold all the keys down all at once or 20 seconds or so to temporarily fix the issue, which it did.

I am thinking when you get a refurbished device, those devices have never had the magnetic strip replaced, so when you use them, at some point the magnetic strip just dies. 

0 Likes