Blackberry Curve 8330
shortandproud29

Okay, so I was looking at phones on the website on Feb. 11 because I'm due for an upgrade soon. I saw the Blackberry Curve 8330 and thought it would be a nice phone to have. So I get on the internet the next day to read some reviews, but the phone wasnt there. Are they still selling this type of phone?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Curve 8330
Geocritter

No, my understanding is they're phasing it out and that it's not available anymore.

0 Likes
shortandproud29

uhmm. what do you mean by phasing it out and its not available anymore.. like anymore like never again??

0 Likes
Geocritter

Right.  As in retired model  (at least, soon to be, if it's not already) .   As in, obsolete.  As in, left behind in a cloud of dust.

And I've only had mine a few months.  I didn't realize they'd be retired so quickly.  Not that it really matters, I guess, but there's something mentally unnerving about it.  Makes my geekiness feel bad knowing that I'm screwed for the next 1-1/2 years!   😛

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

The 8330 Curve was the best selling Blackberry not only for Verizon, but for all other carriers who sold it.  I am sure the price had a lot to do with it.  It was a sturdy little phone and a work horse.  I believe you will soon see the Curve 8930 released soon along with the Tour 2 9650. 

Doc

0 Likes
blamiya1
Contributor - Level 3

Sometimes local Verizon stores still will have a phone that is not sold online anymore still in stock. Also places like Office  Depot or Walmart will have it as well. Try looking in those places for that particular device.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

My 2 cents ... as long as you will be paying for a data plan, get a newer device. The 8330 was released in mid-2007. Mine has been great. I've not had one single problem with it, but you will not get the fast browsing speeds of the new devices. Another disadvantage is many of the new apps are developed for newer BBs. But if you don't care about those things, you can find them online, as the previous poster said. The keyboard is great for typing and I've had zero problems with my trackball.

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

I have owned the 8330 for a few years now.  Not a bad phone.

If it is a Curve you must have, go with the newer model.  The touch pad is 1000 times better than the ball, plus it has WiFi, a newer operating system, and much better performance.  Viewing screen is nicer, too.

No one from VZ seems to want to disclose what is right around the corner, but so far, the rest of the VZ Blackberry offerings leave much to be desired.  Also note that VZ is going to discontinue the 8330 Curve, the Pearl, the flip Pearl and the older Storm - probably by the end of February 2010. 

If you are also considering the Storm 2 or Tour, take a moment to read the VZ customer reviews on the Storm and buyer beware on the Tour.  Sometime in the next 1 to 100 months, VZ will be replacing the Tour with a "Tour 2" or Bold - depending on who wins the rock, paper, scissors game between VZ and RIM.

0 Likes
mwallace5

Hello,

My husband and I currently have the Blackberry Curve and are not happy with it.  We got them in June of 2009 and are both on our 2nd phones.  My phone totally crashed in August and they replaced it, it has been working fine up until the past month.  It has been shutting off 4-5 times a day and freezes all the time.  My husbands does the same but his shuts off more than mine.  Just this week they sent him a replacement phone and he has only had it for 2 days and it is already doing the same thing.  We called tech support because we are not happy and want something done about it. We were told that we had to go through 3 replacement phones before they would give us new phones!  I have been with Verizon since I was 16 years old and have never had problems I am so unhappy and they won't do anything to fix it!

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

The new curve is the 8530 and is also referenced as the Curve II.  It is very nice as they done away with the track ball for a touch button that takes a little getting used to.  Also the new Curve has the new 5.x OS on it with so many new features and functionality. 

0 Likes