Blackberry Curve 8530 overheating
parogers

My BB curve is ~1 month old.  Yesterday it suddenly became extremely warm to where I had to take it out of my shirt pocket, had the smell of burning plastic, and shut down.  Now it won't operate.  I took it in to my local store and the manager said he never heard of this.  It has never been wet (first question he asked me).  A new one is coming in the mail.  Has anyone had this problem?  I suppose a cell in the battery shorted out?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Blackberry Curve 8530 overheating
moates
Contributor - Level 3

We are so sorry for the delay, but we wanted to give everyone the steps needed, to resolve this issue.

Resolution
RIM and VZW have undertaken a number of steps to address this situation. First, changes were made in the manufacturing process to correct the root cause of the issue. All devices sold to customers after approximately April 1, 2010 contain the manufacturing changes. Secondly, a software change was implemented in MR1 software [5.0.0 Release 858 (Platform 4.2.0.230 / Applications 5.0.0.508)] to prevent the issue from occurring on all devices, including those devices manufactured before the manufacturing correction was implemented. MR1 software was made available to existing customers on March 23, 2010. While not required on new devices to prevent this issue, MR1 has been preloaded on all new RIM Curve (8530) devices sold to customers after approximately May 1, 2010 as part of a standard software update process. Subsequent investigation has uncovered very rare, but additional scenarios that cause overheating in the Curve 8530, even after the hardware and software improvements have been implemented. Software version 5.0.0 Release 1596 (Platform 4.2.0.422/Applications 5.0.0.973) was released to address the remaining instances of this issue.

Exchange
No exchange for Certified-Like New Replacement is required. Customers experiencing this issue should have their devices upgraded to the 5.0.0 Release 1596 (Platform 4.2.0.422/Applications 5.0.0.973) software.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Yeah, it happens. Something shorts out in the circuits so all that electricity leaks out and causes the heat. Definitely covered under warranty so I'm glad you didn't have any trouble getting it replaced.

Have you heard of stories of laptop batteries overheating and burning the person's leg? There are even some stories about laptop batteries combusting!

Crazy stuff.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

nmchileman wrote:

Yeah, it happens. Something shorts out in the circuits so all that electricity leaks out and causes the heat. Definitely covered under warranty so I'm glad you didn't have any trouble getting it replaced.

Have you heard of stories of laptop batteries overheating and burning the person's leg? There are even some stories about laptop batteries combusting!

Crazy stuff.

Why would you put a laptop on your leg for?:smileyindifferent:   Being that I am working in the IT Computer field,it is recommend you put a laptop on a hard surface. Don't block the vents.  Clean the computer often as a part of "preventive maintance"

About the phone heating up,yeah I have read worse cases. I remember awhile ago there was this girl whom got burned by her cell phone.It was in her back pocket & caught on fire. Nokia phone I believe it was.  It is kinda of recommend keeping a phone either in a pouch or in a clip on your belt/pants. After you'll have more battery life!

0 Likes
NMP2010

WOW!  This just happened to me this week.  I just received my replacement phone this week.  I called CS to see if this had happened before and of course they said NO!  This is my first BB, so I hope it gets better than this first month!

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

I know somebody that this has happened to twice with the new Curve.  First phone overheated, got it replace, 2nd phone didn't work right, got it replaced.  Third phone overheated to where they couldn't hold onto it (very hot in pants pocket).  Now on 4th phone in 1 1/2 months.  This one seems fine.

0 Likes
parogers

Thanks for all of the replies.  I am expecting my new Curve today.  I hope it doesn't happen again, but I will let you know if it does.

0 Likes
shandetra

This has happened to me twice now since March...customer service kills me acting like they've never heard of this...wish i had researched before purchasing...now i am stuck with this phone until its time for me to upgrade. i made a call for my 2nd replacement today. i asked rep shall i just expect to be calling them every month for a replacement...its aggravating cause i purchased apps for my phone and if i want them on my new device, i would have to repurchase.  I really hope the makers are reading these reviews and care enough to correct the situation.

0 Likes
tshay1975

Advice if phone battery is heating up and battery life is short- Have your phone replaced within your 1 year manufacturer's warranty!

I noticed my battery would get warmer if I charged my phone through my laptop.  I would take longer to charge so that's probably why it got warmer than when I charge it on the wall charger. 

History-  The battery life from the day of purchase was about 8-10 hrs.  About a month later it decreased to about 6-8 hrs. A month later (present time) it last for about 4-6 hrs. I forgot to charge it one night before I went to bed and in the morning it was dead and wouldn't charge. Took it in to Verizon and  they replaced the battery and the battery life was back to about 8-10 hrs. 1 week later and forgot to put it on the charger before I went bed. Same scenario, I woke up and it was completely dead and wouldn't charge. Took the phone in the next day and a technician gave me a loaner and ordered me a replacement phone (free of charge). Just received my replacement phone (next day) via FedEx. Will update how new phone and battery holds up! 

0 Likes
shandetra

so yeah this is the 4th curve II to die on me...it overheated just like the rest of them. battery was replaced by new battery in a verizon store and settings such as WiFi and bluetooth were disabled...it took all of 30 minutes for this phone to suck that battery

dead...back at square one...highly dissatisfied wit this phone...it should not even be still on the market. i get mad everytime i see a commercial with this piece of crap.

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

I spoke with someone with knowledge of this issue and there is a bad batch of batteries circulating for the Curve II that is the cause of this issue.  The phone itself has not been deemed the contributor to this issue.

0 Likes