Re: Blackberry Curve 8530 overheating
Zink71

I am an IT admin for a small company.  I have seen this happen to 3 devices now !  (two of which came from the same Verizon store)

All Curve2 , 8530 units.  It is definitely not a software problem.  Verizon and RIMM support have no idea what I am talking about.  They should admit that this is a serious issue.  This "short" in the unit is dangerous.  I have never felt a device get so hot in my life.

If the battery is the issue, then its causing the phone to die a quick death.

0 Likes
Zink71

I think the problem is that Verizon just replaced the device, and yuo keep your old battery.  Then the old battery causes the new phone to short out, as well. 

0 Likes
Ms_Parker

It's definitely the phone...

My 8530 got warm a few times but it always cooled off in the two months I had it.

Last Wednesday it overheated to the point of barely being able to touch the battery to take it out, so I went to a Verizon store and the rep there told me it was a common occurrence. The phone wouldn't hold a charge and when I put a fully charged battery in from another BB Curve (I still have my older version), it'd zap that battery in a matter of minutes.

I asked her if it was the battery and, if so, just give me another one. She assured me it was the phone malfunctioning not the battery but she thought just the initial batch of 8530s, so she ordered me a replacement one. I asked her how she knew the replacement wasn't from the original batch and she said she didn't but hadn't heard any problems about the replacements short circuited.

Got the phone on Thursday evening. Friday morning it overheated. I took the battery out. It cooled off, would again hold a charge but wouldn't make calls. Went to another Verizon location and requested a different model because noone could guarantee that the replacement which would arrive 4 days later wouldn't have the same issue.

I asked for the Bold, but apparently that's too new so wasn't an option, but it's certainly the most comparable to the 8530 with the touch pad and all. So they gave me a Storm 2.

For everyone else, if  your Curve hasn't had any issues in the first couple of months, it's probably not going to have any. If it's been more warm than usual, don't mistakenly think you overcharged it or need to use a different outlet. It's going to die eventually... hopefully within your warranty period!

0 Likes
Jude526

Am happy you got a Storm as a replacement but hearing this is a common  occurrence bothers me.

I have been a cell phone user for over 20 years and a BB user for 3  I have also sold wireless and I have never been told this is a common occurrence  nor have I actually seen this happen   to the point of it being as hot as you have stated.

My Curve has never gotten hot by any means and if it does   you bet they WILL give me a different device !  But to not let you have the Bold ?    wow     hmmm  too new?  

Some reps will tell you anything without really having the right answer cause they know you will "believe them"  If I don't know the answer I would certainly not tell the customer something just to pacify them.  I would be honest and say I hadn't heard of this and find out for sure.  Giving false information is a bad reflection on the person who gave it and that person has unknowingly also given a bad reflection of the company to that person with the problem.  It makes for a negative experience.

And so you know.....these batteries can't be overcharged.  

Hope your Storm is reliable for you.

0 Likes
jcsmith26

My 4th one too!  Each time I call Verizon they replace it immediately but they act like they've never heard of this issue.  I think they send me refurbished phones that all have the same problem.  Last time I demanded they send a new battery too so that I could start fresh.  Each time I get a few weeks out of it before this problem comes back. If I catch it before it completely shuts down, I am able to get it to take a charge.  if I don't, it won't even take a charge and I have to replace it.  This is really unacceptable and I think Verizon needs to admit that there is a problem and give us a different model.  I need to call AGAIN today because now the battery won't even last 6 hours.  Any suggestions that anyone has would be really appreciated!

0 Likes
Pandion59

Same here... I got a new 8530 and it overheated and wouldn't charge the first night.  Next day I got a new one from the store.  Today it is overheating and won't charge.  I still had my old 8330 and it takes the same battery.  So I put the battery in the old 8330 and it seems to charge just fine.  VERY FRUSTRATING.

It's definitely the phone...!!

0 Likes
Hvfox

It's not the batteries, I'm a phone repair technician and as far as I've seen, the problem lies in the phones mother-board around the radio hardware. Also it does not seem to be a problem solved in the newer ones, I would just steer clear of the 8530's all together. The design is cheap and flimsy, relying heavily on rehashed BB technology, the inside of the phone is like a smörgåsbord of random extra old BB parts. Their using parts from the 8350i, 8130, 9700, 8330, and I've even noticed a few pieces from the old 7000 series. I personally think they had extra parts and wanted to sell a cheaper phone, so they designed a phone around left-overs.

0 Likes
moates
Contributor - Level 3

We are so sorry for the delay, but we wanted to give everyone the steps needed, to resolve this issue.

Resolution
RIM and VZW have undertaken a number of steps to address this situation. First, changes were made in the manufacturing process to correct the root cause of the issue. All devices sold to customers after approximately April 1, 2010 contain the manufacturing changes. Secondly, a software change was implemented in MR1 software [5.0.0 Release 858 (Platform 4.2.0.230 / Applications 5.0.0.508)] to prevent the issue from occurring on all devices, including those devices manufactured before the manufacturing correction was implemented. MR1 software was made available to existing customers on March 23, 2010. While not required on new devices to prevent this issue, MR1 has been preloaded on all new RIM Curve (8530) devices sold to customers after approximately May 1, 2010 as part of a standard software update process. Subsequent investigation has uncovered very rare, but additional scenarios that cause overheating in the Curve 8530, even after the hardware and software improvements have been implemented. Software version 5.0.0 Release 1596 (Platform 4.2.0.422/Applications 5.0.0.973) was released to address the remaining instances of this issue.

Exchange
No exchange for Certified-Like New Replacement is required. Customers experiencing this issue should have their devices upgraded to the 5.0.0 Release 1596 (Platform 4.2.0.422/Applications 5.0.0.973) software.

0 Likes
esteinberg

Moates, please try again.  My 8530, which I got from Verizon in September 2010, unexepectedly overheated just yesterday.  It was running version 5.0.0.973 software.  I guess this would be one of your "rare scenarios"?

0 Likes
jltaylor98

I just got my 4th Curve 8530 since June of 2010 on Tuesday.  I have the same trouble with the phone overheating, white screening, not able to send or recieve txt msg, loss of network all of the time,  I even got an error on Monday while texting telling me the DEVICE has failed and is not able to send the message.  Yet my husband has not a single problem with his Droid.

Even more interesting I have an 8330 that I roll over to when I have trouble and need to call tech suport.  Each time I call support they want me to reactivate the 8530 to "troubleshoot" the issue.  They can never get the 8530 to reactivate (I put it on speaker so they can hear the you must contact tech support message) so we go back to the 8330 and like magic it activates and works without any trouble until I get my next refurb. Happened to all 3 of the 8530's replaced.  We have a bet here at my office how long it will be bofore this one does the samething. 

I must say that tech support via the phone is 100% better then that at the store.

0 Likes