Blackberry Curve Water Damage and Subsequent Dysfunction?
citizen477

Yesterday evening, I spilled what was left of my cosmopolitan onto my Blackberry Curve. Now, though I still receive calls, SMS texts and e-mails, I cannot check them because the keys do not work, no matter how hard I try to press them. The trackball does move the highlight bar up and down on the phone's display screen, but whenever I press the trackball to "click" on an item, it does not open it. What can I do?

Some of my colleagues whom I was having drinks with said that I could try using a blow dryer to get the extra, embedded moisture out. Do you think that would work?

Oh, and silly me, when I upgraded my phone last year, I failed to carry over the insurance to the new plan, so the phone was not insured.

Of course, I'm eventually going to get a new one, but I just wanted some tips on how to revive the phone before I take that fiscal step to purchase another one.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide!

0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Curve Water Damage and Subsequent Dysfunction?
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

Well, the best thing to do on your own terms would be to make sure it is kept in a dry moisture free place to allow what is left inside the phone to be evaporated.

The best t hing i can recommend woudl be to remove the battery and leave them apart open faced in a warm environement.

It's not advised to keep it next to a heated vent or blow dryer because that can actually cause more damage if the phone was recently water damaged.

Outside of that, in the case you do not have insurance VZW will offer you the 1 year pricing to replace that phone, unless of course you are coming close to an upgrade as you mentioned.

Regards

0 Likes
garetjaxthemise
Contributor - Level 2

Another home remedy may be to put your phone into a bag of dry rice to suck out the remaining moisture.

Otherwise you will need to replace the device. Sorry :smileysad:

0 Likes
Janisioux

My husband jumped into a swimming pool with his iPod Nano in his pocket.  The Sony store employees told him to "immediately" (or as soon as possibl) put it into an airtight container (Tupperware) filled with white rice, for a few days.  That pulled out all of the moisture and it has worked fine ever since!  Might be worth a try, sure couldn't hurt anything.

Good luck!

0 Likes
WKQQRocker
Enthusiast - Level 1

garetjaxthemise wrote:

Another home remedy may be to put your phone into a bag of dry rice to suck out the remaining moisture.

Otherwise you will need to replace the device. Sorry :smileysad:

How much rice do you use when you put it in the bag? Also, Do you just sit the phone next to the rice or pour the rice inside the back of the phone where the battery would be? Never done this before.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

zip lock with half bag of rice. Take off battery cover and remove battery.

WKQQRocker
Enthusiast - Level 1

lewisr13 wrote:

zip lock with half bag of rice. Take off battery cover and remove battery.

Ok. But, It has to cover the whole phone. Right?

This is what happened. Me and my son was out and it was pouring down rain. As we ran into a store, I had my blackberry in my hand. Didn't think it got wet enough to cause any damage to the phone. Just the front was wet. So I wiped it off with my t-shirt. When I got home and whent to check for a text/missed call. None of the keys would work at all. And, After 30-45 seconds It would shut itsself off. Pulled the battery and memory card out and let it sit out overnight. Thought it would just dry out. Today it was doing the same thing. But, It had just stopped turning itself off. Call verizon and they told me to do the rice thing. A ex school buddy of mine had something happen to his phone. And, Someone suggested the rice thing to him and it worked for him.

UPDATE:  The rice thing worked. Left it in the bag for about 5-7 hrs . Took it out around 7:30-8:30pm est last night. Put the battary back in. After it booted up. Hit the trackball and menu keys and they worked. Thanks again, Lewisr13.

You just saved me a huge amount of money ($200) I would've had to shell out for a used blackberry. Reason I would be getting a used one if this hadn't worked. I'm not resigning a 2 year contract with verizon and having to change my data plan and be stuck paying double of what I'm paying now. I'm on the $15 data plan they got rid of last year. And, When my contract runs out in November. I'm still not resigning a new one.

0 Likes