Blackberry curve
mew1588

I want to switch out my phone for a blackberry curve and I don't want the internet for my phone, but in order to use a blackberry curve you have to have it. what I want to kno is why can't they make it to where you can just use it for phone and text purposes only. and is there any blackberry that I can purchase w/out having to have the internet for it?

0 Likes
Re: Blackberry curve
Chesterface

Nope, any devices like BBs and Droids required the data plan in order to use it wether you want to just use it for texting. What's the point of having an advanced device like that if you're not going to use all the things that come with it? You would probably be better off purchasing an Intensity or something like that, which comes with a QWERTY keyboard.

0 Likes
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

Actually, most of the phones we have now have a mandatory data package($9.99) that you have to select once you purchase the phone. That's excluding all Smartphones & Blackberry devices.(Their rates stay the same)

0 Likes
as3030

I also want to get a blackberry and I think that the $30 charge is ridiculous. You should be able to cancel the internet if you want like we used to with the multimedia phones. The $10 charge and $30 charge is unnecessary and they should go back to the charge per usage including blackberries.

0 Likes
Geocritter

You are missing the point.  A blackberry IS an internet/data device by design, you can't really strip it out because that's what it's designed for.  Like trucks are made for hauling things; you don't buy a truck and then get mad because it has a bed, right?

But Blackberries are designed around networks and data, you can't separate them.  All carriers will charge similarly, because it can't be stripped out.  It's not VZW's fault.

That said, I don't know if there are any smart phones that simply combine a cell phone and a pda, without being tied to the internet.  It's just the world we live in nowadays.  You might have better luck with one of the other smart phones, like the Pixie or something (I haven't messed with them much). 

0 Likes
as3030

Verizon should make a phone like the blackberry with the keyboard and look of it, so if people like blackberries and want a phone like it without the internet charges, they can get that one.

0 Likes
Geocritter

I'm trying to remember...back when the "smart phone" first came out...I'm thinking it pretty much WAS just a pda, with a phone capability.  I don't recall you having to have a data package with that, because it was designed as 2 devices, neither of which were dependant on "internet" connectivity.  I guess I'm thinking back to the earliest Treos, maybe...

So you're right...it does seem like a simple PDA with a phone addition might not be a bad idea.

0 Likes
as3030

I think it would be a good idea that a lot of people would buy. I know I would. I like the look of the qwerty keyboard without flipping the phone like my voyager and a big screen. Verizon should come out with a blackberry look alike next!

0 Likes