Bought a Blackberry Curve 8330 off eBay...
MarkAllan

had some trouble at first with the ESN. Finally got the seller to clear the ESN up and got the Blackberry activated on my account today. I had an enV Touch that gave me all kinds if fits, and Verizon wouldn't allow me to get any other kind of phone so I finally had enough of the Touch and turned to ebay.

Now, the problem is I'm only getting a 1x signal most of the time. I get a evdo signal rarely, but when I try to sign into Facebook, it tells me that my plan does not support it. My plan is the data plan for the Blackberrys with unlimited texts, data, internet, email, etc. Anybody know what my problem might be?

Also, the phone didn't come with the browser, so is there anyway I can install it back on the Blackberry? And, where can I download the latest USB drivers for the Blackberry as it won't let me download the BB App World without them, even though my computer seemingly downloaded them when I first put the microUSB cable into it.

Thanks for all the help!

0 Likes
Re: Bought a Blackberry Curve 8330 off eBay...
Geocritter

If I were in your shoes...here's what I'd do:

1.  make sure you've got the latest blackberry desktop manager installed on your computer.  I don't have the link offhand, but you can google it or whatever easy enough.

2.  I would update the OS with Verizon's latest.  I don't know what system your phone came with, or from what carrier.  This will take care of that.  you can download it from:

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx?ct=personal

3.  Follow the instructions.  When it's done, you will have a link in your browser to the applications program (if it's not pushed already). 

That should make everything just hunky-dory.  Smiley Happy

PS: if you've already spent a lot of time entering stuff, like addresses and whatnot, make sure to back eveyrthing up first using the BB Desktop manager.

0 Likes
MarkAllan

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/messagingplans.jsp

I have the one for Blackberries. It should give me internet access, right?

0 Likes
Geocritter

Looks like it, yeah.  I've never seen that particular plan before.  But that has nothing to do with your lack of a browser and being unable to download the applications program.  The lack of browser is a phone operating system problem  (which is why I suggested reinstalling your OS from verizon), which will take care of the problem. 

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

When activating any new Blackberry it's always best to register your data sevices with RIM.

You'll do this by clicking on your Options icon then > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > press your menu button and select "Register Now".  

Confirm you've received the registration message in your inbox and after a couple minutes you should the browser icon back, as well as the Email Settings icon.

Now you will be able to download Blackberry App World from www.blackberry.com/appworld in your phone's browser.

0 Likes
MarkAllan

I upgraded everything last night, and it said the browser was being installed, but it never showed up.

And on the Host Routing Table, I go to it and it says '*no entries*". Should it say anything? I clicked register now, and I got the registration message sent message, but where do I go to get the message?

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

MarkAllan wrote:

I upgraded everything last night, and it said the browser was being installed, but it never showed up.

And on the Host Routing Table, I go to it and it says '*no entries*". Should it say anything? I clicked register now, and I got the registration message sent message, but where do I go to get the message?

There were no entries in the HRT because you haven't registerd yet. If you've registered successfully you should now have entries in there, you don't need to do anything with them however.

The register message can be found in your general inbox. After you've received the registration message your browser icon should appear. If not, try regsitering on the HRT again.

If it's still not showing up you may need to call Tech Support to have the PIN of your Blackberry unregistered from the network. It may still be attatched to the previous owner's account preventing you from registering on your account.

0 Likes
MarkAllan

Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep, and after nearly an hour, it's finally going! We had to wipe the whole phone, and start over, but it's going. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes