Curve 8330: East Asia Language Pack support?
Michi-chan

I have a recently purchased Curve 8330.  I am looking for the East Asian language pack that permits me to enter Japanese characters.  I can not find this version of the software anywhere on the VZW website.

The unit already has Japanese fonts installed so I can read correctly.  I am just not able to write.  

Any help would be appreciated.

=m

0 Likes
Re: Curve 8330: East Asia Language Pack support?
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2
Press alt + Enter to see if Japanese input is available.

If not go to Options/Language/Input Language: and click on English (United States) to see if you see Japanese input is available.

If it not there then Japanese input is NOT installed on your Blackberry.

I found this on Crackberry.com
Well, I got multi language inputs to work with my bb, including Japanese.

I mentioned this in other thread about Thai input. I suspect that OS you have may not contain the right file(s) for Japanese input.

I currently am running on hybrid .174 and .75. OS 4.6.1.75 is the key for my success I think. You do not need to change or update your current OS. Here are the steps.

1. Find 8900 East Asia 4.6.1.75 and download it.
2. Install and delete vendor file. Please consult normal method when upgrading new OS for details how to delete and what not.
3. Copy file CJK.alx from 4.6.1.75 and overwrite into 4.6.1.xxx (your current OS). "program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8900-v4.6.1.75_P4.2.0.59"
4. Copy folder JAVA from 4.6.1.75 and then paste into 4.6.1.xxx "DO NOT OVERWRITE FILES" This is important. This way, it will only paste additional files to your current OS JAVA.
5. Run your DM, suggesting that you use 4.6 version or use AppLoader.
6. You should now have option to add more East Asia Script as well as Inputs.

Try at your own risk.  Hope this help.  Always back up your handset before performing any major upgrades.

-Justin

A "Quickpull" a day keeps the lag away. PM me for a link to the download.

Serving proudly, USAF, Land of the free because of the brave.
0 Likes
Michi-chan

Thanks...

But can I use that for the 8330?  Even though it's a package for the 8900.

I am a total newb where it comes to Blackberrys.

I wonder what the official VZW line is on East Asian language support.  I figured they would have enough customer base to support any Blackberry customers who are stateside who need this support.

=m

0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2
The guy who did this was using an 8330 so I would assume so.
0 Likes
jmct12345
Did this work?   I am having the same problem and looking for anyone that has succeeded with Japanese input.
0 Likes
schale01

I've been working on Japanese Language Support for the Tour and although I have been unsuccessful thus far I have made some progress.  I've documented my progress and my process here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9630&thread.id=1248

Hopefully this can help you, and if anyone has any input that would help my process along it would be greatly appreciated.

Message Edited by schale01 on 08-08-2009 01:59 PM
0 Likes
new2bb8330

Verizon tech support says there's no concrete hope for an East Asian Language Pack for the US in the near future. My BB Curve 8330 runs on device software v4.5 and on other BB forums state that the language packs that support Thai are all v4.6

So if I chose to download v4.6 by following links on other forums, the tech said it would be a risk.

My BB browser has Thai char encoding (doesn't have ISO-8895-11, but has TIS-620) but even when I set my browser's char set encoding to TIS-620, I still cannot read Thai characters.

Anyone have a solution/

0 Likes