Curve 8330 Keyboard unavailable
GlennEsq

I have read about this happening elsewhere, and it appears to be a SOFTWARE ISSUE, not a HARDWARE issue, but I am soliciting feedback on how to fix.

I went to the Verizon store on the Upper West Side, and was told by the girl at the counter that I am out of warranty and that I would have to pay for a new phone.  When I asked her why, since this was apparently a software issue, I was not given an answer.  So I have come to you for assistance.

I had this problem occur the night of Halloween, after I got home.

When I went to check emails and messages, the keyboard was unavailable, but the trackball will move from side to side, but not up and down.  The voice command button does not work, the quick shut-off button does not work, the speakerphone button does not work and the keyboard, blackberry key and the back key do not work.

Initially, the signal was on, but now even though charged, the signal (radio) shows as OFF.

I have re-set at least thirty times, I have re-set without the data card, I have linked to the computer, and it syncs, but the calendar and address data seems to add and delete incorrect information, and the PIN suddenly reads differently on the Desktop Manager (it used to just say the PIN, but now says Blackberry Curve 8330 and the pin in parentheses),  I have tried deleting the applications I don't need (no blackberry or verizon apps), and NOTHING has helped.

The Unit is in good shape, and has been taken care of very well, so I am wondering what it could possibly be, and what the solution could be.

Please help, or let me know if you have had a similar issue.  Something is definitely fishy here.

0 Likes
Re: Curve 8330 Keyboard unavailable
GlennEsq

Just to add a note to the prior post, when I go to the Backup restore in v5.0.1, the following apps and databases are read only:

• Certificate Summary Data
  • Handheld Agent
  • Saved Email Messages
  • Time Zones

Why would Handheld Agent be read only?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, Glenn,

Sorry you have troubles.  Here is what I would do.  First, try a battery pull.  Remove the battery from the unit for at least 10 seconds then put it back in order to refresh the memory.  Then, resend your service books.  Go to Email Settings and open it up.  Press the Menu key and press Service Books.  Then select Resend Service Books.  See if that gets you up and running.

Doc

0 Likes
GlennEsq

Thanks for trying, but, if you had read what I wrote, you would understand that I have already tried that solution more than ten times, and it has not worked.  In addition, there is no way to resend the service books or access email settings without using my keybaord, which, as I stated, does not work, as the Menu key does not work.

I appreciate the response, but, unfortunately, you have not helped.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, Glenn,

The only other thing I can tell you is to reload the device's OS.  If that does not resolve your problem, then it sounds like your 8330 is in need of a replacement. 

Doc

0 Likes
GlennEsq

Yeah, I had already tried that, so I went back to the store, then spoke to technical services, and finally ordered a replacement unit (my 2 year upgrade isn't due till May 3rd)...but thanks for trying.

:robotvery-happy:

0 Likes