Curve 8900?
KMM1234

so i have been looking around to get a blackberry - have an env2 and very much like the curve - but the 8330 is the only one at the store (close to me) and i want the 8900!!! im afraid that once i get the 8330, then verizon is going to come out with the exact 8900, besides the "tour" - is there something similar to curve 8900 coming soon?? 

0 Likes
Re: Curve 8900?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
How soon is your definition of soon? There should be an updated model of the Curve 8330 coming to Verizon next spring. Atlas/Magnum ..something like that. But the next Blackberry VZW gets is the Storm 2 this Winter, but that's touch screen. So it's either the Tour (which is a flipping awesome phone) or hold off for the next one in springtime.
0 Likes
KMM1234
is the magnum touch screen? i don't like that, im just afraid that the 8330 is so old by now, i dont want it to not be compatible to things next yr, once i get it - im locked in with it for 15months or so
0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Why aren't you interested in the Tour?? ..just curious.

But the Magnum/Atlas--whatever it's going to be called is supposed to be a touchscreen and have a real QWERTY keyboard. So like the Tour with a touchscreen. Best of both worlds, eh?

But the 8330 is a very reliable, sturdy device, I still use mine. You shouldn't worry too much about compatability issues. RIM does a good job of updating the software on all their devices. I'm sure the 8330 and 8130 Pearl will get the OS5.0 treatment once it is released by RIM.

0 Likes
KMM1234

the tour would be too much money honestly, i am still in contract and it would be $140 to cancel it early, over $400 to buy it at retail, so the manager was nice enough to work with me and sell me the curve for the "1yr contract" price, which is like $180, so I'd be getting the curve for $180, without being eligible for any type of upgrade/discount. Even if he were to sell the tour at the 1yr price, its somewhere around $300 - its just not that worth it.

what is OS5.0?, and what is RIM?

can you tell i'm new to this? haha

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

RIM= Research In Motion. The allmighty makers of the Blackberry.

OS5.0= Operating System 5.0. Right now the Curve 8330 and Pearl 8130 only have OS4.5.  The Tour/Storm/Peal Flip are running 4.7

So 5.0 is the next major OS update. It's a big deal in the Blackberry world.

But the Curve is definitely a good device. I've had 1 with VZW for a year and 3 with Sprint since they released it almost 2 years ago. It's an excellent phone with a lot of 3rd party application support. The good thing about a device that's been out for a while is that it's less buggy. All the kinks have been worked out and whatnot.

0 Likes
KMM1234

thats a good way to look at it, hows the battery life? calls drop alot? - what kind of apps can you put on a blackbery? like the ipods can have 100 thousand more apps than you could think of, is there a large variety for blackberry? do you know if they are expensive?

thank you for all of this info

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Battery life is great. Personally, I'm a bad judge of battery life...I use my phone constantly thru out the day. I don't put it down for more than 5 minutes. So I only get about a day of usage, but my girfriend who doesn't use her phone nearly as much as I do can get 2-3days of use without charging.

Call quality and reception are great, but it mostly depends on your area. If you normally get good reception where you live then you won't have a problem.

But the application possibilities are endless. There are thousands of apps available. Some free, some you pay for but with varying prices. I would recommend checking out www.crackberry.com and look around. There's a Blackberry 101 section that lets you know basic, newbie, stuff about Blackberry and there's also an application store. RIM has it's own store called "App World" that's awesome and has lots and lots of free apps.

Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, Google apps, Maps, Calenders, games, business apps, health apps...it's endless really.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3
The Atlas is not a Curve, its a Tour with Wifi and will be out early spring. The Gemini the 8530 is the new curve with a trackpad instead of a trackball.There were talks of the Curve 8900 coming to VZ "Jupiter" I have heard that was pushed back.
0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
Ah, yes. Thank you xtreme, I'm ashamed for not remembering. Thanks for reminding me of the Jupiter, too. That looks like a sweet one.
0 Likes