GPS functionality in Google Maps on BB Curve 8330?
pglein

Has anyone been able to get true GPS functionality to work in Google Maps on their BlackBerry Curve (8330)?  The buzz over on Google's forums is that it's a VZW issue.  By "true GPS" I mean an accurate fix based on GPS satellites, not tower triangulation.

0 Likes
Re: GPS functionality in Google Maps on BB Curve 8330?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I do not think the 8330 will work the Google Maps.  My Tour works great with the GPS on it, though.  It must be a software thing.  The Tour uses 4.7 OS where the Curve uses 4.5. 

Doc

0 Likes
pglein

The "word on the street" is that Verizon has locked the GPS stream on every BB except the Storm.  They unlocked it for BB Maps, but not anything else, since they want you to buy VZ Navigator.  Since both VZ Navigator and BB Maps are such crappy products, this is pretty annoying.  Has anyone heard otherwise?  There are some people saying it's Google's fault, but it's hard to really sort it out and seems to be impossible to find a solution.  I paid for a GPS enabled phone, and pay a ridiculous upcharge for the BB plan, and it seems to me like the phone should not be locked down like this.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Wow alot of misinformation floating around here.

1st  GPS is "locked" on third party apps for the 8330.  They only use tower triangulation. It will work with BB maps (autonomous)just fine. Also make sure you are running one of the 4.5 or up OS's.

2nd The storm and Tour BOTH have autonomous GPS.

3rd All GPS functionality is disabled on ALL of these phones until you turn them on. Options>Advanced Options>GPS> Change where it says GPS services form E911 to Location ON. On the Storm or Tour (4.7 OS up) make sure Location Aiding is set to Enabled.

The answer to your question is Google has absolutely nothing to do with the 8330 GPS not working. It is VZ's doing. I have not seen if the recent leaked 5.0 OS for the curve rectifies this problem. I may check that out tonight:smileywink:

0 Likes