Getting the New software 6.0 For blackberry curve
jayxx92

I would like to get the new software for my curve but i dont know how to. i havent gotten an update and i keep checking. is there any way to put it on by going to a verizon store or off the website?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Getting the New software 6.0 For blackberry curve
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello kerick52,

I understand it can be frustrating loosing your contacts but we’re not able to manage whether a PC freezes. However, it is highly recommended not to disconnect your device while the update is in process. At any point if the device freezes it will eventually time out and advice that you can now disconnect. For future reference you can also visit the following link for information on how to back up your contacts with Backup Assistant.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

To update your Blackberry Operating System (OS) software, follow the instructions I will provide.  You can check which version your device is running by going to Options>About on your device.  Here are the instructions:

How to Update your Blackberry’s Software

1. On your computer, download and install Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM). The program can be found on the CD that came with your Blackberry or from Blackberry’s web site at the following URL: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/  

2. Download the upgrade file for your device. This can be done from the vendor’s web site, such as Verizon’s at http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/  

3. Click on the downloaded upgrade file and install that file your computer. Now the upgrade file will be integrated into BDM.

4. Attach your Blackberry device to your computer and backup your device’s settings before upgrading. This is important so that you do not have to enter your contacts, etc back into your phone again.

5. After backing up, you are ready to begin. With BDM running on your computer, click on Application Loader.

6. Under Update Software, click on Start.

7. Now you will be presented with a list of available software upgrade options. Select the proper upgrade by placing a check mark next to the one you want to install and click next.

8. Follow the prompts and your software will install on your device. It is important to remember that the whole process can take 30-45 minutes. Do not unplug your Blackberry from your computer during the upgrade.

9. Once you receive the message on your computer the process is complete, you are done.

Hope this helps,

Doc

0 Likes
uautrn

am I "required" to udate to 6.0??  i am unable to check my meassages on my BB curve now unless I update (msgs wont open-only a screen re:updating the OS).   the same thing happened with our other BB and we updated to 6.0 and hate it. i would just like to bypass this and keep the current 5.0, but i am not offered that option, it seems. the techs at the verizon store seemed clueless about it. any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
Not applicable

An over-the-air software update is required on the phone.  It does take some time to get used to the new software, but you get a lot more functionality out of the phone (especially the web browser).  I cannot say that there is absolutely no way to downgrade the software on the phone (you can make phones nowadays do almost anything) but reverting to old software is not supported here at Verizon Wireless.  That is probably why you did not get an answer from our techs. 

I hope you found this info helpful, and I hope you can adapt to the new software. 

0 Likes
kerick52

I was trying to update my software just like you were telling the other person who posted question, and received a major system error! Could not get my pc to do anything (frozen) or my blackberry. I finally had to unplug my blackberry took the battery out and restarted phone. Now all my info is gone!!! No contacts but the funny thing is my pictures are still there. Help can I get my contacts back?

Thanks for any help you can give me>

0 Likes
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello kerick52,

I understand it can be frustrating loosing your contacts but we’re not able to manage whether a PC freezes. However, it is highly recommended not to disconnect your device while the update is in process. At any point if the device freezes it will eventually time out and advice that you can now disconnect. For future reference you can also visit the following link for information on how to back up your contacts with Backup Assistant.

0 Likes