Looking for a new phone.... any suggestions?
RacerX

I'd like to start looking at Blackberrys, but I'm new to them and don't really know what to look for.

I'm upgrading from a LG VX8300 flip phone.

I'd like to have email, web, notepad, calendar.  I wouldn't use many of the other applications.

Any suggestions?  Pros, cons?  I like the BB Curve, but don't know much about it.  I text way more than I talk.  Is a BB for me?

0 Likes
Re: Looking for a new phone.... any suggestions?
Scurvy

RacerX wrote:

I'd like to start looking at Blackberrys, but I'm new to them and don't really know what to look for.

I'm upgrading from a LG VX8300 flip phone.

I'd like to have email, web, notepad, calendar.  I wouldn't use many of the other applications.

Any suggestions?  Pros, cons?  I like the BB Curve, but don't know much about it.  I text way more than I talk.  Is a BB for me?

The Blackberry Curve is great for email, web, notepad, calendar and texting... There are rumors of another Blackberry that's supposed to be coming soon called the Niagra... But, they're rumors, so there's no telling when and if it will be released.

0 Likes
lowrance
Contributor - Level 2

would 2nd the curve

qwerty is great, all around great phone, push email is the greatest

my only complaints are no standalone gps and is  rev. 0 and not rev.a, but i knew that upfront when i purchased it so not really a big deal

0 Likes
Stormjunkie

Although I enjoy my Storm, I would not recommend it as your first black berry device.  Unfortunately, the other models do not have EVDO connectivity.  I would recommend you familiarize yourself with the blackberry OS by going into stores and playing with the phones; practice typing on the keyboards.

0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Scurvy wrote:

There are rumors of another Blackberry that's supposed to be coming soon called the Niagra... But, they're rumors, so there's no telling when and if it will be released.

No these are NOT rumors.    It is NOT called the "Niagra" . . . it is formally named "Niagara".    It's been formally announced on practically every major phone blog site for some time now.   It's the Niagara 9630 and you can find tons of information about it on Crackberry.com, Boygenius.com, Engadget, Howard Chu, Phone Arena and pretty much every other "in-the-kinow" cell phone blog.   Oh yeah, RIM has also announced it as well.    All the Verizon stores know about it already as well.   Should be out sometime next month.   It's a cross between the new Curve and the existing Bold.   It's a new form factor that is receiving rave reviews thus far by those who have tested it.    It's not a touch screen but by all reports may well be the best Blackberry of all.   Time will tell.

Message Edited by DarkCobra on 04-17-2009 08:56 PM
0 Likes
tgdc4life
I currently just bought the curve and i would like to say GREAT PHONE
0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3
Amen to that.   The existing Curve is a classic that is still holding up nicely.   You are aware of the Blackberry Niagara 9630 coming out next month though?   The form factor is basically a modern version of your Curve.    You might want to take a close look at that if it launches prior to your 30 day exchange being up.    In any case, you indeed got a fantastic device . . . enjoy!
0 Likes
mretrade
Enthusiast - Level 3

Stay away from the Pearl! My choice would be the Curve.  This phone will be a classic for some time to come.,

The "Niagara 9630" has been announced.  But as past history with RIM/Verizon these dates could be pushed back. Also

like the "Storm" buggy OS  has been the norm.  So if you need a phone now go with the Curve and wait  a while after

they release the Niagara. 

0 Likes
seabright
Contributor - Level 1

mretrade wrote:

The "Niagara 9630" has been announced.  But as past history with RIM/Verizon these dates could be pushed back.

It has? By whom? Can you give a link? I hadn't heard anything yet and am very interested.

Thanks!

0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

You know . . . I started to post a response that 90% agreed with all of what you said.   I was going to suggest that the buggy issues with the Storm were mainly due to the mechanical touch screen and not so much the OS.    At least, those were the primary issues I had with it when I owned the storm (the mechanical issues).    However, on second thought I paused from writing that and I want to 100% agree with your advice.     I too am going to hold off on the Niagara for a bit.   

I'm saying that because of an article I recently read from a RIM exectuive where he said that they fully intended in the future to continue to release products that they were still continuing to work on and would simply do so via software updates.    Translation:  "We will continue to release buggy devices in the future to bring them to market quickly and just have you (the end user) add our updates as we continue to fix the device".    

Sorry, I will never again be RIM's "beta boy" for another product and if this is their philosophy then perhaps it's time for me to take a second look at the LG 8630 or something else.    So you're right.    I'd stick with the original Curve and wait and see just what direction RIM is going in now.

0 Likes