New to Curve 8330/BB, Many Questions - BBappworld, time to load, flash, mobile applications, music
curvenewbie

Hi,

I just received the curve 8330 this week and am loving it so far but have a lot of questions and am so very glad there is this forum.  Hopefully people will be able to provide insight.

• What is the appworld used for exactly?
  • When I go to load an application say google it seems to take longer then it should, say 10 - 20 seconds - is that normal? That amount is time is consistent when I search for something as well w/ browser or google.
  • Youtube/Pandora - I wanted to add these to my desktop.  When I was about to load pandora I got a Data Usage Warning indicating that it will use a large amount of data and I was responsible for the charges.  Isnt data unlimited? I got the same message for you tube.
  • I tried this morning to use a DocFind search engine, I got a message indicating I need flash.  Any tips?
  • How do you people use their music? I am excited about adding mp3's from Itunes (at least the ones I can) but do other people have other music sites they use for adding music? I am not up for paying $15 extra for Vmusic.
  • Any use I wanted to take advantage of was keeping track of my finances since I am always on the go I thought it would be convenient to track bills/expenses but I cant use the excel sheet I use so does anybody have any suggestions? I use BofA and it looks like they dont have mobile banking. 
  • I tried to text a friend w/ a BB this morning to her number.  I recieved a message that said it was a landline and taht I would be charged $.25/msg if I select Y.  Why did this happen?

Thank you in advance to anyone that helps out with these questions.  I really appreciate it!

0 Likes
Re: New to Curve 8330/BB, Many Questions - BBappworld, time to load, flash, mobile applications, mus
risu
Contributor - Level 3

I can't answer everything, but here goes (I might know one or two things)!

1. App World is where you purchase and download apps for your blackberry.

2.  ummm.... good question!

3. I think that's just Pandora covering their butts, so you don't come at them expecting them to pay a huge data bill should you incur overages (perhaps with another carrier?).  Although, you shouldn't.

4. Flash isn't isnt available for the blackberry's web browser... at least not when I tried it for the storm.  Could be wrong, so if anyone else has a good tip, let us have it!

5. I only use pandora, but if you purchased the music through iTunes, it may not work if its protected.  Dunno.  Haven't tried it.

6.  The storm came with Word/Excel to Go, but there are some financial apps out there if you go looking in App World.

7. You have a lot of tough questions!  Did you double check to make sure the number was correct?

Message Edited by risu on 06-09-2009 05:11 PM
0 Likes
Re: New to Curve 8330/BB, Many Questions - BBappworld, time to load, flash, mobile applications, mus
FancyPants

WOW!! i have a lot of the same questions as you do.

As for the iTunes.....I have used the blackberry media sync to transfer my itunes to my blackberry BUT it will not allow me to transfer a lot of my music because it has a "copyright" yet these are all songs that I paid for threw iTunes so I am still stuck on that on too. Actually frustrated.

Slacker Radio is great so far. Been using it for about a month. I use the free version. I tried Pandora also but it would not run. BTW with Slacker RAdio you have to go into options/security and disable the firewall. This does make me a bit nervous but I do use it anyways. Slacker also gives you the option to cache stations (save them to your memory card).

I also have been having to wait several minutes, not seconds, for the BB appworld to load. Just yesterday I had to take my battery out 3 times because the appworld seemed to be "stuck" 

Have you checked out crackberry.com for applications? If I find a good banking/checkbook/expense application at a good price i'm all for it since that is the main reason I purchased my blackberry. To organize my life!!!! 

0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3

I think the itunes deal is because of the music format.  If you ripped your CD in itunes, you'll have an .m4a, but if you purchased it, then you'll end up with an .m4p.  Since that formating is kind of specific to apple, the blackberry has some issues with it (since BBs don't play well with macs, as far as I can figure).

If you burn that music to a CD and rip it, you'll probably be able to play it on the blackberry.  Although, I haven't tried this yet!

0 Likes
curvenewbie

Risu,

Thanks for teh reply! Is it impossible to have excel with the curve?

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3
No the curve has excel you just havent updated your Docs to go. What you have to do is open Word hit the menu button and check for updates. It will take you to the dataviz site and there will be an udate pick on it tell it yes and download. it will reboot and presto you have excel. If excel does not show up beside  slideshow to go you will have to resend your service books then it will pop up. It happens sometimes with .077.
0 Likes
seabright
Contributor - Level 1

Rim offers a great free program called, I believe, Media Manager. It will accesses your iTunes playlists and will sync them to your Blackberry. Of course, it will only sync unprotected files but it's still very  cool. I found it on the RIM website.

Best of luck

0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3
That doesn't work on a mac does it, seabright?
0 Likes
seabright
Contributor - Level 1

Absolutely does! I've gathered it was only recently released for Macs. It works quite well. Every once in a while it kind of stalls. I force quit, relaunch and start over. It has one kind of weird quirk. It appears that it reloads everything everytime I sync instead of just what changes. As I'm only loading a couple of gigs, this isn't a huge deal but it does seem to take longer than it ought.

Best of luck.

0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3

Is it compatible with the storm as well?  I tried plugging in my storm to my mac, but it doesn't even show up.  I'll have to give it a shot later to see if it works.  Thanks!

0 Likes