Unlock the gps on all phones!!!
redbone
Enthusiast - Level 1

If verizon can unlock the gps on the storm they can unlock it for the curve and other gps phones. I believe they have only unlocked it for the storm in order to sell more storms.

I have three apps on my blackberry Curve that verizon does not offer. The only way for me to use them is by buying an external gps even though my curve already has one.

Verizon, use some common sense and listen to your customers.

Re: Unlock the gps on all phones!!!
fjl307

I agree, this is ridiculous.

It DOES not pose a security issue 

It IS NOT that hard to fix (only requires an updated service book, no OS modifications) 

0 Likes
sld676
I have a storm and I don't think the gps is unlocked!!  I cannot use google maps or any other map application for that matter!!  I'm already paying way too much money a month for the storm and they want how much more money for VZ Navigator?  This is ridiculous!!
0 Likes
EdMart
Enthusiast - Level 3
Check your GPS settings under Advanced Options.  It should be set to "Location On" not "E911 Only."  It won't function in any GPS app if set for E911 Only.
0 Likes
sld676
Thanks for the help but it is set to "location on".  I have given up using maps on my phone until a new update!!!  But, thanks!!!
0 Likes
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hello to all,

Please navigate to your GPS screen on your device for both Storms and Curves..... 

Options>Advanced Options>GPS 

Your settings so be set as followed:

GPS Data Source: Device GPS

GPS Services: Location On

Location Aiding: Enabled

Verify these settings and then we can talk more into detail about the GPS function on your devices.

May need to do a battery pull to finish activating the GPS feature.

Regards, Michael 

0 Likes
JacoMIngus
Yeah, I've seen that fix. However on my 8130, I do not have the option "Location Aiding". Verizon really needs to enable gps. I should of done my homework. If I knew this I would of gone somewhere else.
0 Likes
shadowmind
Enthusiast - Level 3
Not to sound negative at all but if you are honstly going to say you should of done your homework and gone elsewhere than by all means do you have any real right to complain?? Not really, I understand you feel duped but at the same time you could of taken the couple days to look into the extra info, dont forget its a phone first and all the extras are just that EXTRA, if it works as a phone than by all means it has held up to its end of the bargain. Just my two cents.
0 Likes
BlackBerry_i812

Have you tried the Google Maps App for BlackBerry

BlackBerry Storm GPS  works good for me..

You need to go into Options /Advanced Options Click on GPS

Under GPS Service Click on "E911" and change to "Location On"

Under Location Aiding:    "Enabled"

This will Allow Google Maps and other Apps that need GPS to work..

0 Likes
TabooBlue
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have the Curve 8330 and my GPS works with BlackBerry Maps. :smileyhappy:
0 Likes