Very Dissappointed
mommared40

My daughter has a Blackberry curve and carries it in her front pocket. On one particular day, the pixels had bled across her screen, ruining her screen. I contacted Verizon and was told that as long as it was not damaged and had no water damage that the warranty would be better to use than the insurance I have on the phone. I sent in the phone and a few days later received an e-mail from Verizon telling me that it was not a mechanical or technical issues and I would have to pay $300 for the refurbished phone that they sent to my daughter that doesn't even text properly. I am a single parent and my account has been in great standing, but these jojers keep coming up with excuses on me having to pay the $300. I wonder how many others they have done this too and if we can get a class action law suit started?

0 Likes
Re: Very Dissappointed
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I'm sorry to hear you were billed $300, but I would forget the class action lawsuit; it's a waste of time. Verizon's policy is that if they discover water damage on a warranty exchange, the customer who received a refurb gets billed. I don't know whether you looked inside the battery compartment before shipping it, but there's a white sticker with red X's inside the compartment, and when it gets wet, the red ink runs and turns the sticker pink. I'm guessing that is what was found. You probably don't want to hear this, but you could have used the insurance in this case, which covers water damage.

0 Likes
mommared40

The phone had absolutely no water damage, which makes this case even more frustrating. I did what the VERIZON employees told me to do...use the warranty.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

mommared40 wrote:

The phone had absolutely no water damage, which makes this case even more frustrating. I did what the VERIZON employees told me to do...use the warranty.

Prior to sending it in, did you check where SydneyK suggested? How can you be sure that there was "absolutely no water damage"? I thought this was your daughter's phone. How can you be "absolutely" sure that she in some way did not induce water damage? This can be done by having it in your front pocket while in the rain, in the bathroom while showering, perspiration from your body while having the phone in your front pocket, etc...

I can't think of anyone who could be positive that their phone has "absolutely no water damage".

0 Likes
mommared40

Uh, the way you check for water damage is that there is a white strip inside the

phone and on the battery. If there is water damage then those stickers turn red

or pink, which neither one did. My daughter is VERY responsible because she

knows how tight funds are in our household. Verizon could care less.

May God bless you and keep you safe. Bridget Threadgill

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

This is an indicator which will tell you if there IS water damage. This is not an indicator to tell you that there IS NOT water damage. Upon examining the phone, if there was corrosion in the circuitry within the phone, this is ALSO an indication of water damage.

I never said your daughter WAS NOT responsible, but responsible people can also get water damage with their phone. YOU stated that she carried her phone in her front pocket. People sweat. This can cause water damage, even if you are responsible. Responsible people also get caught in the rain, splashed, etc...

The fact that a phone has water damage has no bearing on the level of responsibility of the person who has the phone.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well Mam if your 100% sure that your Daughter is not Guilty of turning that water Damage sticker Red then i would say someone at Verizon or were these phones are checked in is not playing nice an there wanting to stick you for the 300.. could be a Possibility.  But when i want to prove my rights i back it up with pictures. That way i'm on top of the Game.

Update: Rc your correct her Daughter could be very very careful with her phone an it could still have change that sticker, From sweat, High Moisture Area's Bathrooms & Kitchens. Or from when raining outside... When it is raining out i'll put my phones in a plastic bag to as to keep the water off but as soon as i'm indoors i take them out.

0 Likes
jonnyl

I'd like to know if I can re-start my service to my daughters blackberry ($400.00) without having to have the extra web service? 

0 Likes
keithvw

I am contacting an attorney today about a class action.  To think all Verizon had to do was waive the $300 fee.  I hope it costs them millions.

0 Likes