Wi Fi
rayneman

How useful is having the Storm 2's Wi Fi cabability?  Does is easily increase the browsing speed so dramatically that it outweighs some of the Storm 2's cons?

Can anyone compare the browsing on the 8330 Curve to the Tour?

Thanks...I think I'm going to upgrade from my Curve to either the Storm 2 or the Tour...the Tour looks better for me because I would be typing a lot of work emails and the attachment reader that I think is preloaded would be really nice.  On the flip side, I spend alot of time traveling and sitting in airports so it would be nice to have a faster browsing experience than the Curve without having to pull out my laptop.

0 Likes
Re: Wi Fi
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

In our own testing, we have seen mixed results in the speed of the wi-fi compared to the speed of the Data connection.  I have seen a slight increase in the browsing speed on the Tour compared to the 8330 but I believe that is due to having the upgraded OS on the Tour compared to the older version on the 8330. 

You could also look at the new curve (8530) as it has the same new OS as the Tour and it also has WiFi now.  I have not seen a diffence in speed between the Tour and the 8530 and the 8530 is also a smaller profile and lighter.

0 Likes
JMB
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have really bad signals with Verizon service in our house. Most downloads time out no matter where I move around. But with a connection to wi-fi (via a router), we can do downloads and surfing with no problem (mostly just to set up and test programs on the BB since I use the laptop for everything in the house). So it's not even a matter of speed. It's a matter of no signal vs a signal. I'm glad we got the Curve 8530 now that I've tried wi-fi on it in our dead-zone house!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I can speak for the Curve 8330 and the Tour.  The difference in the speed of loading web pages on those two devices is about the same.  The big difference is in appearance.  The Tour uses the 5.0 Blackberry browser and renders web pages a little better than the 8330's 4.5 browser.  I also use Opera Mini on my Tour with 5.0 software and Opera is really fast at loading pages.  JMB has a great point with the WiFi.  If you are in a place where you do not get a good signal from Verizon Wireless, then you can use WiFi.  Neither the Curve 8330 or Tour have WiFi, however, the upcoming Bold 9650 will have WiFi and similar features to the Tour.  The Bold 9650 (when it gets here) will be the Blackberry of choice for many BB users.  No official word yet of when it will arrive, but hopefully soon.

Doc

0 Likes