price to activate?
blfreeman12

I am thinking about activating a 2+ year old BlackBerry curve in replacement of my broken Samsung GS3 on my family share plan. Is there an activation fee (even though it's an old Verizon phone)?  Also, will there be any additional charges because it's BlackBerry?  I didn't have insurance and im trying to find a way to leave Verizon anyways, so buying a new phone isn't an option.  I am a stay at home mom of 2 in a rural town that doesn't have Verizon signal. We don't have a home phone, so no cell phone right now means NO way to call anyone even in an emergency or to get Verizon assistance.  Please tell me the details of this option so I can make an informed decision sooner then later. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: price to activate?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm so sorry to see your Galaxy SIII is broken, blfreeman12.
We truly don't want to see  you leave us. We wish we had more service in your area. What zip code are you in?

Good news, there is no activation fee required to place another phone on your line of service. Since it is also a smartphone, there is no extra data plan you will be needing.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
blfreeman12

Is it possible that some phones pick up signal better then others? Sometimes we could call on my husbands`s phone when my PS3 couldn't even text. If so what phones picku up signal the best?

Thank you

0 Likes
Lizzzzzzz

I too have a Blackberry Curve, but I bought it through T-Mobile, so apparently I can't use it for my new Verizon account

phone. In fact, I was told by a Verizon CSR that Blackberry in general wouldn't jive with Verizon, so I ended up with an LG  Cosmos because I wanted a keyboard like I had on my Blackberry. The upshot of this is that I hate the LG Cosmos because it is awkward to use, primitive and user unfriendly, yet to get a Blackberry I would have to pay $399, since I just reactivated my Verizon account. I'm stuck with the LG Cosmos for about 2 years, unless someone knows something I don't about the upgrade situation.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question blfreeman12. Generally any 4G smartphone will pick up a signal better than say a basic phone or some older 3G devices. I am checking the area and can see some extended network areas around this zip code. Is the other phone in the house a 3G or 4G capable device?

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
blfreeman12

They are both 4g capable. Mine Wasatch galaxy s3 and my husband`s is a HTC droid DNA.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

blfreeman12,

That's great! As the 4G devices can pick up both 3G and 4G signals they will lock onto the strongest signal available.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes